Grozny. Source: www.chechnyafree.ru

09 June 2009, 22:00

Apaev: Chechen authorities can hide information about Doku Umarov's death till June 12

So far, there is no reliable data confirming the death of Doku Umarov, leader of Chechen separatists, who declared himself in 2007 to be the commander of Caucasian mujahads. However, observers do not exclude that the authorities plan to announce Umarov's liquidation by the forthcoming holidays. According to Aslambek Apaev, an expert of the Moscow Helsinki Group for Northern Caucasus, if Umarov was really killed, the fact will be disclosed only by June 12, the Day of Russia.

On the other hand, Mr Apaev has expressed doubt that Umarov could be killed.

"As to myself, so far, I have strong doubts that Doku Umarov is dead. His death was earlier announced more than once. But even if he was really killed, the fact, as I think, will be announced only by June 12, the Day of Russia holiday. Here, authorities like to date liquidation of militants' leaders to this or that holiday. For example, Maskhadov was killed by March 8, and liquidation of Basaev was 'presented' by special agencies right to the G8 summit in St Petersburg. So, let's wait," the human rights defender said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

The whole day yesterday media kept reporting about possible liquidation of Doku Umarov, militants' leader in Northern Caucasus, or Amir of the Caucasian Imarate, as he was officially called by separatists after 2007. Law enforcement bodies and the military commandant's office of Chechnya withheld to either confirm or refute this information.

"It's too early to assert that Doku Umarov was liquidated, although there are serious grounds to assume that he is really dead. We possess information that last week this bandit leader was heavily wounded in Sunzha District of Ingushetia, but they managed to evacuate him out of the operation zone. Then, his four bodyguards were killed, including a citizen of Azerbaijan," a source in the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) of Chechnya said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

Author: Muslim Ibragimov; Source: CK correspondent

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060

Know more? Do not be silent!

Lt-feedback_banner

September 02, 2014 05:25

September 02, 2014 01:07

September 01, 2014 23:26

September 01, 2014 17:14

September 01, 2014 11:50

  • During week of August 25-31, 2014, 3 persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus

    During the week of August 25-31, 2014, at least 3 persons were killed in the armed conflict in Northern Caucasus. No wounded persons were reported. These are the results of calculations made by the "Caucasian Knot" based on its own materials and information from other open sources. According to the law enforcement bodies, all killed persons were suspected members of the armed underground in Dagestan.

August 31, 2014 07:05

  • Governor of Rostov Region announces closure of refugee centres

    On August 29, Vasily Golubev, the Governor of the Rostov Region, announced that all field temporary accommodation centres (TACs) for Ukrainian refugees would be closed during a week. The TACs are to be closed because of bad weather conditions in the Rostov Region. The authorities plan to transfer refugees to stationary accommodation centres.

August 31, 2014 13:50

  • In Sochi, Lavrikov family challenge court decision to move them to "Olympic" housing

    In Sochi, Lavrikov family members have challenged the decision of the Krasnodar Regional Court to grant the request of the Sochi city administration to transfer the Lavrikov family members to "Olympic" housing. The appeal has been filed against the court's decision to evict four adults from the dilapidated house to a one-room apartment in a building for "Olympic" settlers.

All news

Погода в 49 городах Кавказа
News archive