Grozny. Source: www.chechnyafree.ru

09 June 2009, 22:00

Apaev: Chechen authorities can hide information about Doku Umarov's death till June 12

So far, there is no reliable data confirming the death of Doku Umarov, leader of Chechen separatists, who declared himself in 2007 to be the commander of Caucasian mujahads. However, observers do not exclude that the authorities plan to announce Umarov's liquidation by the forthcoming holidays. According to Aslambek Apaev, an expert of the Moscow Helsinki Group for Northern Caucasus, if Umarov was really killed, the fact will be disclosed only by June 12, the Day of Russia.

On the other hand, Mr Apaev has expressed doubt that Umarov could be killed.

"As to myself, so far, I have strong doubts that Doku Umarov is dead. His death was earlier announced more than once. But even if he was really killed, the fact, as I think, will be announced only by June 12, the Day of Russia holiday. Here, authorities like to date liquidation of militants' leaders to this or that holiday. For example, Maskhadov was killed by March 8, and liquidation of Basaev was 'presented' by special agencies right to the G8 summit in St Petersburg. So, let's wait," the human rights defender said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

The whole day yesterday media kept reporting about possible liquidation of Doku Umarov, militants' leader in Northern Caucasus, or Amir of the Caucasian Imarate, as he was officially called by separatists after 2007. Law enforcement bodies and the military commandant's office of Chechnya withheld to either confirm or refute this information.

"It's too early to assert that Doku Umarov was liquidated, although there are serious grounds to assume that he is really dead. We possess information that last week this bandit leader was heavily wounded in Sunzha District of Ingushetia, but they managed to evacuate him out of the operation zone. Then, his four bodyguards were killed, including a citizen of Azerbaijan," a source in the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) of Chechnya said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

Author: Muslim Ibragimov; Source: CK correspondent

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060

Know more? Do not be silent!

Lt-feedback_banner

August 30, 2014 18:23

August 30, 2014 08:50

August 30, 2014 07:22

  • In Azerbaijan, Ali Gyulalyev's father claims political motives of case against his son

    The charge against Ali Gyulalyev, who is accused of disorderly conduct, has been fabricated for political reasons, stated opposition activist Oktai Gyulalyev, the father of the defendant. According to Djamil Gasanli, the leader of the National Council of Democratic Forces (NCDF), the criminal case against Ali Gyulalyev became the next one in a series of the cases instituted against relatives of opposition members and rights defenders.

August 30, 2014 06:11

  • In Kutaisi, hunger-striker from SIZO No. 2 taken to hospital

    Inmates of the SIZO No. 2 (pre-trial prison) of the Georgian town of Kutaisi continue a protest action. They demand reconsideration of their cases and attention of the administration. One of the hunger-strikers has been brought to the hospital, his wife reports.

August 30, 2014 04:15

  • In Maikop, trial of Zarema Khadjirokova continues without defence

    The Maikop City Court has continued the questioning of witnesses in the criminal case against Zarema Khadjirokova, the former chief accountant of the Maikop State Technological University, who is accused of fraud. The trial was held in the absence of defence, and the defendant was brought to the courtroom by force, stated Lyudmila Alexandrova, the former advocate of the defendant.

August 29, 2014 16:16

  • Chechen SC stops proceeding on Kutaev's complaint of torture

    On August 26, the Appellate Instance of the Supreme Court (SC) of the Chechen Republic denied the petition lodged by Ruslan Kutaev, the President the Assembly of Caucasian Nations, against the refusal to open a criminal case on the fact of applying violence to him. Now, Kutaev's defence intends to apply to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR).

August 29, 2014 14:40

  • SPCh: over 1000 Russian servicemen sent from Rostov Region to Ukraine

    On August 13, more than a thousand soldiers of the Russian Army were sent to the territory of Ukraine. They were announced that they were going to carry out a combat mission; and those who refused would be criminally prosecuted, said Sergey Krivenko and Ella Polyakova, members of the Russian Presidential Council for Development of Civil Society and Human Rights (known as SPCh), referring to the information received from the mother of one of the lost contract soldiers.

All news

Погода в 49 городах Кавказа
News archive