22 January 2010, 23:50
"Adyge Khasse": idea of united Circassia is no threat to Russia's integrity
In Karachai-Circassia, critical statements of Vladimir Ustinov, President's plenipotentiary in the Southern Federal District (SFD), about the idea of the united Circassian region were differently estimated by activists of public organizations. The "Adyge Khasse" thanked Mr Ustinov for his general focusing the problem, but noted that "someone had misinformed the speaker."
Let us remind you that on December 22 last year at a meeting with the members of the Council of Federation Vladimir Ustinov spoke about the growing threat of terrorism in Northern Caucasus and noted that "oil to the fire is added by all kinds of 'national' leaders, who demand to set up a new subject of the Federation uniting Adygs, Circassians, Kabardians, Abasins and Shapsugs."
"I should thank Vladimir Ustinov for his stressing the problem of the Circassian nation at the supreme legislative body of Russia," Mohammed Cherkesov, chairman of the "Adyge Khasse" of Karachai-Circassia, said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
At the same time, he expressed his bewilderment that the Circassian problem was presented as a threat to Russia.
"Nobody of Circassians, Kabardians or Adygs has ever said about their intention to quit Russia," said Mr Cherkesov.
According to his version, Circassians see no existence outside Russia or living in a mono-ethnic republic.
According to his version, the leaders of the Circassian people say nothing about "changing borders."
"We say that in the same manner as the Nogai and Abazin Districts were formed in Karachai-Circassia, a new district may be formed within the existing borders of Adygea, Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachai-Circassia," Mohammed Cherkesov has added.
Author: Bella Ksalova; Source: CK correspondent
- EP calls on Russia's MoJ to withdraw its claim on dissolution of "Memorial"
- After meeting with Nils Muižnieks, Azerbaijani activists hope for his help in addressing human rights problems
- Advocate of head of Committee "Mothers from Kuma River Area" appeals against arrest of rights defender
- Azerbaijan sets up "Joint Human Rights Group"
- Rostov-on-Don to open polling station for electing Ukrainian MPs
- MoJ announces its readiness to withdraw claim on dissolution of "Memorial"
- Astrakhan Mayor Stolyarov, accused of bribery, claims he took money for city needs
- Dagestan: law enforcers cordon off Gimry village, local residents report
- Bacho Akhalaya, former head of Georgian MIA, found guilty in "Navtlug" case
- EP to send delegation to Azerbaijan to support Leyla Yunus