22 January 2010, 23:50
"Adyge Khasse": idea of united Circassia is no threat to Russia's integrity
In Karachai-Circassia, critical statements of Vladimir Ustinov, President's plenipotentiary in the Southern Federal District (SFD), about the idea of the united Circassian region were differently estimated by activists of public organizations. The "Adyge Khasse" thanked Mr Ustinov for his general focusing the problem, but noted that "someone had misinformed the speaker."
Let us remind you that on December 22 last year at a meeting with the members of the Council of Federation Vladimir Ustinov spoke about the growing threat of terrorism in Northern Caucasus and noted that "oil to the fire is added by all kinds of 'national' leaders, who demand to set up a new subject of the Federation uniting Adygs, Circassians, Kabardians, Abasins and Shapsugs."
"I should thank Vladimir Ustinov for his stressing the problem of the Circassian nation at the supreme legislative body of Russia," Mohammed Cherkesov, chairman of the "Adyge Khasse" of Karachai-Circassia, said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
At the same time, he expressed his bewilderment that the Circassian problem was presented as a threat to Russia.
"Nobody of Circassians, Kabardians or Adygs has ever said about their intention to quit Russia," said Mr Cherkesov.
According to his version, Circassians see no existence outside Russia or living in a mono-ethnic republic.
According to his version, the leaders of the Circassian people say nothing about "changing borders."
"We say that in the same manner as the Nogai and Abazin Districts were formed in Karachai-Circassia, a new district may be formed within the existing borders of Adygea, Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachai-Circassia," Mohammed Cherkesov has added.
Author: Bella Ksalova; Source: CK correspondent
- In Azerbaijan, one of advocates is withdrawn from protection of rights of Leyla Yunus
- Defenders of sentenced Rostov journalist Alexander Tolmachov disagree with Court's verdict
- In Dagestan, District Court re-takes Patimat Nasibova into custody
- Native of Yeisk becomes defendant in case of private jet crash at Vnukovo Airport
- In Grozny, relatives of disappeared persons obtain 60 genetic passports
- Relatives of murdered rights defender Maksharip Aushev ask to transfer investigation to Ingushetia
- Natives of Northern Caucasus picket Pirogov Medical University in protest against ban on religious clothing
- Russian HRC to appeal to General Prosecutor's Office in connection with case against Imam Kurman-Ali Baichorov
- In Makhachkala, eight persons go on hunger strike demanding resignation of Dagestani leader
- CPJ expresses concern over failure of justice in some cases on journalists' murders in Russia