22 January 2010, 23:50
"Adyge Khasse": idea of united Circassia is no threat to Russia's integrity
In Karachai-Circassia, critical statements of Vladimir Ustinov, President's plenipotentiary in the Southern Federal District (SFD), about the idea of the united Circassian region were differently estimated by activists of public organizations. The "Adyge Khasse" thanked Mr Ustinov for his general focusing the problem, but noted that "someone had misinformed the speaker."
Let us remind you that on December 22 last year at a meeting with the members of the Council of Federation Vladimir Ustinov spoke about the growing threat of terrorism in Northern Caucasus and noted that "oil to the fire is added by all kinds of 'national' leaders, who demand to set up a new subject of the Federation uniting Adygs, Circassians, Kabardians, Abasins and Shapsugs."
"I should thank Vladimir Ustinov for his stressing the problem of the Circassian nation at the supreme legislative body of Russia," Mohammed Cherkesov, chairman of the "Adyge Khasse" of Karachai-Circassia, said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
At the same time, he expressed his bewilderment that the Circassian problem was presented as a threat to Russia.
"Nobody of Circassians, Kabardians or Adygs has ever said about their intention to quit Russia," said Mr Cherkesov.
According to his version, Circassians see no existence outside Russia or living in a mono-ethnic republic.
According to his version, the leaders of the Circassian people say nothing about "changing borders."
"We say that in the same manner as the Nogai and Abazin Districts were formed in Karachai-Circassia, a new district may be formed within the existing borders of Adygea, Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachai-Circassia," Mohammed Cherkesov has added.
Author: Bella Ksalova; Source: CK correspondent
- Human rights defenders and diplomats comdemn impunity in Akhmednabiev case
- Over 400 refugees return daily to Ukraine from Russia through Rostov Region
- SIS of Armenia starts investigating attack on "A1+" journalist
- Prosecutor's Office refuses to open criminal case on beating journalist Farkhadoglu in Baku
- "Rodina" candidate for Volgograd Regional Duma demands to recount ballots at 10 polling stations
- Armenian CoA upholds verdict to Volodya Avetisyan
- Volgograd Region: 15 colony inmates commit self-mutilation
- At UN HRC session, "Article-19" demands from Russian authorities to reopen inquiry into Ahmednabiev's killing
- Dagestani court convicts Abakarova for possessing "suicide belt"
- In Azerbaijan, Leyla Yunus' advocate stats that she is pressed by two cellmates