08 February 2010, 22:10
Russia's SC labels "Imarat Kavkaz" as terrorist organization
The Supreme Court (SC) of the Russian Federation has satisfied the statement of the General Public Prosecutor and recognized the so-called "Imarat Kavkaz" (Emirate of the Caucasus) to be an international terrorist organization and banned its activities in Russia.
The sitting of the Court was held closed; the Judges listened to the arguments of the General Prosecutor's Office, Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) and the Federal Security Bureau (FSB). However, as the ITAR-TASS reports, there were no representatives of the prohibited organization at the sitting.
The "Interfax" reports that according to law enforcement bodies, today, Imarat is a structure of the separatist Islamic underground, which is covering Dagestan, Chechnya, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachai-Circassia. Its ideology is based on the ideas of Wahhabism and jihad.
Imarat Kavkaz is headed by Amir Dokku Abu-Usman (Doku Umarov); and his first deputy assistant (naib) is Amir Supyan (Supyan Abdullaev).
The supreme advisory body at the Amir of Imarat Kavkaz is Majlis ul-Shura, which includes Supreme Amirs - heads of vilayets and jama'ats.
The supreme judicial body of Imarat is Supreme Shariat Court, headed by the Chairman of the Court (Cadi) - Amir Seifullah (Anzor Astemirov).
Imarat Kavkaz also has a representative office abroad - Vekalat, headed by a plenipotentiary of the mujahads and leaders of Imarat Kavkaz - Vakil (in the end of August, 2009, this post was taken by Shamsuddin Batukaev).
The exact strength of Imarat is not established. By different sources, in may comprise from 50 to 1500 persons engaged in terror acts, bombardments and explosions, the "Gzt.Ru" writes. In the opinion of law enforcement bodies, the aim of Imarat Kavkaz is to separate Northern Caucasus from Russia and cancel the force of Russian legislation in the territory of the region.
- Volgograd: rally "For Fair Elections" adopts resolution on violation of their electoral rights
- CTO regime lifted on border of Kazbek and Gumbet Districts of Dagestan
- Azerbaijan: six convicted "Nida" activists petition to president for their release
- AI calls on journalists to support commemoration of Anna Politkovskaya
- In Krasnodar Territory, "Solidarity" activist accused of extremism
- Krasnodar Court dismisses Mikhail Savva's appeals against his sentence
- In Krasnodar, activist Alexei Mandrigelya attacked
- Vitishko's advocate: Evgeny managed to improve prisoners' conditions in his colony-settlement in Tambov Region
- Azerbaijan: Leyla Yunus' cellmate demands to punish Leyla's advocate
- Kizilyurt resident doomed kidnapped found in Dagestan