08 February 2010, 22:10
Russia's SC labels "Imarat Kavkaz" as terrorist organization
The Supreme Court (SC) of the Russian Federation has satisfied the statement of the General Public Prosecutor and recognized the so-called "Imarat Kavkaz" (Emirate of the Caucasus) to be an international terrorist organization and banned its activities in Russia.
The sitting of the Court was held closed; the Judges listened to the arguments of the General Prosecutor's Office, Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) and the Federal Security Bureau (FSB). However, as the ITAR-TASS reports, there were no representatives of the prohibited organization at the sitting.
The "Interfax" reports that according to law enforcement bodies, today, Imarat is a structure of the separatist Islamic underground, which is covering Dagestan, Chechnya, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachai-Circassia. Its ideology is based on the ideas of Wahhabism and jihad.
Imarat Kavkaz is headed by Amir Dokku Abu-Usman (Doku Umarov); and his first deputy assistant (naib) is Amir Supyan (Supyan Abdullaev).
The supreme advisory body at the Amir of Imarat Kavkaz is Majlis ul-Shura, which includes Supreme Amirs - heads of vilayets and jama'ats.
The supreme judicial body of Imarat is Supreme Shariat Court, headed by the Chairman of the Court (Cadi) - Amir Seifullah (Anzor Astemirov).
Imarat Kavkaz also has a representative office abroad - Vekalat, headed by a plenipotentiary of the mujahads and leaders of Imarat Kavkaz - Vakil (in the end of August, 2009, this post was taken by Shamsuddin Batukaev).
The exact strength of Imarat is not established. By different sources, in may comprise from 50 to 1500 persons engaged in terror acts, bombardments and explosions, the "Gzt.Ru" writes. In the opinion of law enforcement bodies, the aim of Imarat Kavkaz is to separate Northern Caucasus from Russia and cancel the force of Russian legislation in the territory of the region.
- Rights defender Ismaylova reports that Baku police refused to take her application about attack
- Azerbaijan: arrest of journalist Khadija Ismayilova extended until March 24
- Makhachkala: Envoy Melikov raises issue of preparing for celebrating 2000 years of Derbent
- KBR resident convicted of aiding militants
- Chechen Prosecutor's Office demands to close 85 pages of the social network "VKontakte"
- MoDs of Armenia and Azerbaijan report shelling of their position in conflict zone
- Society needs details of inquiry into murder in Gyumri, said demonstrators in Yerevan
- Court in Dagestan rejects claim on Murad Nurmagomedov's unlawful arrest
- Armenian investigators check version of Permyakov's accomplices
- Armenia: relatives of Avetisyan family ask police to ensure their safety