10 February 2010, 20:00
Magomedsalam Magomedov promises to consolidate the society of Dagestan
Today, Deputies of the National Assembly of Dagestan have voted for vesting Magomedsalam Magomedov with the powers of the President of the republic. In his programme speech the new head of Dagestan promised to consolidate the society and not to persecute his opponents.
Let us remind you that the National Assembly of Dagestan has 72 MPs; 69 of them were present at the sitting and unanimously voted for Magomedsalam Magomedov as the new head of the republic.
Mr Magomedov said that the republic badly needs modernization. The basic problems to be addressed are corruption, subsidy-type economy and unemployment.
"Poverty gives rise to extremism, and this vicious circle should be broken," he said.
The new Dagestan leader has stated his intention to hold dialogue with those who for some reasons had chosen to confront the existing power. "We're ready to start talks, announce amnesty and guarantee their safety. But it doesn't refer to those who encroach on the constitutional order with arms in hand," said Magomedsalam Magomedov.
According to the new head of the republic, he is not going to pursue his political opponents. "I'm not going to rake up old events and divide people into foes and friends. Now, the task is to consolidate the society; and I'm ready to design a public agreement to this end," he has stated.
Attraction of investments into the republic was mentioned as a major priority; and the emphasis will be made on prominent Dagestan businessmen, working in Moscow and other regions.
Author: Timur Isaev; Source: CK correspondent
- MIA reports killing of organizer of terror act in Grozny
- Relatives of Elshan Salikhov, killed in Derbent, deny his involvement in militants' activities
- Shamil Gazaliev from Chechnya suspected of involvement in warfare in Syria
- Gimry resident reports detention of three suspected militants in Vremenny
- Volgograd: residents of Srednaya Akhtuba picket against expanded clay factories
- In Krasnodar, "Solidarity" activist stabbed because of his anti-Putin inscription
- Armenia: organizer of "Million Mask March" sentenced to six years of imprisonment
- In Budyonnovsk, head of Committee of Soldiers' Mothers detained after search in NGO's office
- 23 believers taken to police after namaz in Makhachkala
- Four persons from the list of political prisoners pardoned in Azerbaijan