12 June 2010, 10:00
Female NGO activists of Georgia and South Ossetia meet in Baku to search ways to stop enmity
Women of Georgia and South Ossetia are capable to bring their contribution into restoration of trust and peace between Georgians and Ossetians. This is the leitmotif of the two-day meeting of female-activists from Georgia and South Ossetia, which is taking place on June 11 and 12 in Baku, in the office of the Azerbaijani society in defence of women's rights named after Dilyara Alieva.
The event is attended by six activists from NGOs of Georgia and South Ossetia each. This format of dialogue was launched back in 2007 under the project "Trust Across Borders", financed by the Swedish organization "Kvina till Kvina" (Women for Women). Then, the "World Women's Club" was created; and women from Georgia and South Ossetia joined it. Under this project women already met in Tskhinvali and Tbilisi.
"After the warfare in South Ossetia in August 2008 we hold meetings twice a year already in neutral territories – alternately in Azerbaijan and Armenia," Lira Kozaeva-Tskhovrebova, head of the Association of Women of South Ossetia for Democracy and Defence of Human Rights, said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent. She believes that this sort of dialogue is useful for building bridges of trust and stopping mutual enmity. She answered positively when asked about real results of the "people's democracy".
The current women's meeting in Baku is dated to the 10th anniversary of Resolution No. 1325 of the UN Security Council "Women, Peace and Safety", passed on October 31, 2000. This resolution is on situation with women in armed conflicts and their participation in peace-making operations and post-conflict settlement.
Author: Faik Medzhid; Source: CK correspondent
- Seven hunger-strikers continue demanding Abdulatipov's resignation
- In Volgograd, about 80 persons came to commemorate victims of political repressions
- In Azerbaijan, one of advocates is withdrawn from protection of rights of Leyla Yunus
- Azerbaijani filmmaker Eldaniz Guliev fined for libelling MIA head
- Defenders of sentenced Rostov journalist Alexander Tolmachov disagree with Court's verdict
- In Dagestan, District Court re-takes Patimat Nasibova into custody
- Native of Yeisk becomes defendant in case of private jet crash at Vnukovo Airport
- In Grozny, relatives of disappeared persons obtain 60 genetic passports
- Relatives of murdered rights defender Maksharip Aushev ask to transfer investigation to Ingushetia
- Natives of Northern Caucasus picket Pirogov Medical University in protest against ban on religious clothing