12 June 2010, 10:00
Female NGO activists of Georgia and South Ossetia meet in Baku to search ways to stop enmity
Women of Georgia and South Ossetia are capable to bring their contribution into restoration of trust and peace between Georgians and Ossetians. This is the leitmotif of the two-day meeting of female-activists from Georgia and South Ossetia, which is taking place on June 11 and 12 in Baku, in the office of the Azerbaijani society in defence of women's rights named after Dilyara Alieva.
The event is attended by six activists from NGOs of Georgia and South Ossetia each. This format of dialogue was launched back in 2007 under the project "Trust Across Borders", financed by the Swedish organization "Kvina till Kvina" (Women for Women). Then, the "World Women's Club" was created; and women from Georgia and South Ossetia joined it. Under this project women already met in Tskhinvali and Tbilisi.
"After the warfare in South Ossetia in August 2008 we hold meetings twice a year already in neutral territories – alternately in Azerbaijan and Armenia," Lira Kozaeva-Tskhovrebova, head of the Association of Women of South Ossetia for Democracy and Defence of Human Rights, said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent. She believes that this sort of dialogue is useful for building bridges of trust and stopping mutual enmity. She answered positively when asked about real results of the "people's democracy".
The current women's meeting in Baku is dated to the 10th anniversary of Resolution No. 1325 of the UN Security Council "Women, Peace and Safety", passed on October 31, 2000. This resolution is on situation with women in armed conflicts and their participation in peace-making operations and post-conflict settlement.
Author: Faik Medzhid; Source: CK correspondentArticle source
- NSDC announced death of four border guards because of shelling from Rostov Region
- Stavropol Territory: former investigator sentenced to one year of freedom deprivation for arbitrariness
- Refugees living in "Promzhilbaza" find it difficult to rent housing for money allocated by authorities
- MCC finds Orkhan Zeinalov guilty of Yegor Scherbakov's murder in Biryulyovo
- Needy people of Vladikavkaz receive 400 food parcels for the end of Ramadan
- During week of July 21-27, 2014, 6 persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- MfE: Rostov Region accommodates more than 40,000 Ukrainian refugees
- On eve of Eid al-Fitr, Chechnya enhances security measures
- Chechen woman suspected of financing members of Gakaev brothers' IAF
- Anaklia hosts rally in support of "KaZantip" Festival