30 June 2010, 18:00
Gandaloev detained in Ingushetia tells about torture during arrest
The relatives of Aslan and Mukhtar Gandaloevs detained on June 21 in the village of Sagopshi, Ingushetia, and suspected of exploding a shop in the same village have reported about an illegal search in their house. Witnesses claim that violence was applied during the arrest.
The office of Ingushetia ombudsman has received a complaint from Bers Gandaloev, resident of the village of Sagopshi, to the effect that on June 21, early in the morning, officers of Malgobek district department of internal affairs forced into his house at 50, Gardanova Street, conducted a search and detained his relatives Mukhtar and Aslan Gandaloevs. The applicant claims that the detainees are possibly tortured by militiamen.
On June 23, the office of the ombudsman conducted a field examination of the complaint. An employee of the office visited the Malgobek district militia pre-trial facility and interviewed each of the Gandaloev brothers. According to them, no illegal methods of investigation have been applied with regard to them. No traces of torture or beating have been found during a visual inspection (faces, necks and arms).
On the same day, Mukhtar Gandaloev was released from custody, while Aslan Gandaloev was charged under articles 222 and 223 of RF CC (storage and illegal manufacture of arms and explosives).
"They dragged me out of the bed, brought me into the yard, twisted my hands, put me against the wall, put a plastic bag over my head and stuck it with scotch tape. I could hardly hear anything then. We were taken to militia. They started interrogating me, mentioned some names, asked me where I had been during the explosion", says Mukhtar.
Gandaloev claims that those who were detaining him spoke Russian without an accent, while those who were interrogating him in militia talked Ingush.
Author: Lydia Mikhalchenko; Source: CK correspondent
- Krasnodar Court dismisses Mikhail Savva's appeals against his sentence
- Within a month, activists raise 85,000 roubles to help Russian-speaking elders in Caucasus
- In Krasnodar, activist Alexei Mandrigelya attacked
- Vitishko's advocate: Evgeny managed to improve prisoners' conditions in his colony-settlement in Tambov Region
- In Georgia, refugees plan to march from Poti to Tbilisi in protest
- Azerbaijan: Leyla Yunus' cellmate demands to punish Leyla's advocate
- Kizilyurt resident doomed kidnapped found in Dagestan
- Dagestan: decision to suspend inquiry into Akhmednabiyev's murder cancelled
- Azerbaijani rights defender Anar Mamedli receives Vaclav Havel Award
- Vremenny residents reject power agents' offer to leave their houses