19 October 2010, 22:00
Russia's GPO puts Ahmed Zakaev on international wanted list again
As reported by Marina Gridneva, spokesperson of the General Prosecutor's Office (GPO) of Russia, Ahmed Zakaev, former head of the government of the self-proclaimed Chechen Republic of Ichkeria (CRI), was announced into international search again. The Yessentuki City Court, the Stavropol Territory, has arrested Zakaev in absentia.
According to Ms Gridneva, in 2001 Zakaev was already put on the international wanted list, but since then the number of charges against him has changed. "In this regard, and because of changes in the legislation, it is now necessary to repeat the procedure", the "Interfax" quotes her as saying.
"Being a member of an armed grouping, Zakaev committed crimes against person, state power, public safety and order of governance, aimed at violent change of the territorial integrity and the constitutional order of the Russian Federation," Ms Gridneva has reported.
- Sochi court dismisses all petitions of builder Demerchyan's advocates
- MCC refuses to postpone punishment to figurant in Politkovskaya's murder case
- KBR: IED neutralized on "Kavkaz" Highway
- Dagestani SC overturns acquittal of doctor Gunashev accused of links with militants
- Rostov Region: court sentences three ex-policemen to four years in colony each for beating a victim
- During week of September 8-14, 2014, two persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- In Chechnya, entrepreneur fined for distributing book "Fortress of the Muslim"
- Law enforcers suspect prosecutor Magomed Shapiev of opening fire on policeman in Dagestan, source reports
- Prosecutor's demand to sentence Shagen Arutyunyan to 5 years in prison is possible with society's silence, teenager's mother claims
- NGO calls on to apply tougher article to incident in Kobuleti medrese