19 October 2010, 22:00
Russia's GPO puts Ahmed Zakaev on international wanted list again
As reported by Marina Gridneva, spokesperson of the General Prosecutor's Office (GPO) of Russia, Ahmed Zakaev, former head of the government of the self-proclaimed Chechen Republic of Ichkeria (CRI), was announced into international search again. The Yessentuki City Court, the Stavropol Territory, has arrested Zakaev in absentia.
According to Ms Gridneva, in 2001 Zakaev was already put on the international wanted list, but since then the number of charges against him has changed. "In this regard, and because of changes in the legislation, it is now necessary to repeat the procedure", the "Interfax" quotes her as saying.
"Being a member of an armed grouping, Zakaev committed crimes against person, state power, public safety and order of governance, aimed at violent change of the territorial integrity and the constitutional order of the Russian Federation," Ms Gridneva has reported.
- Arrested Azerbaijani rights defender Leyla Yunus nominated for Nobel Peace Award
- ICRF indicts all detainees in Minvody fight case
- Chechnya: relatives of combatant in Syria hope for lenient sentence
- Verdict on massacre in Kuschevskaya upheld by Russia’s SC
- Policeman wounded in special operation in KBR
- Two suspected militants killed in Dagestan
- Moscow commemorates "Nord-Ost" victims on anniversary of hostage-taking
- Advocate: power agents’ actions in Vremenny fail to meet CTO objectives
- Court in Chechnya rejects all motions of Kutaev’s defence, advocate says
- Residents of Dagestani Vremenny settlement complain to Children's Ombudsman about lack of warm clothes