Journalist Idrak Abbasov at the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety. September 30, 2011. Photo: www.irfs.az

25 October 2011, 23:10

Azerbaijan: journalist Abbasov demands investigation into attacks on his relatives and their house

In Azerbaijan, Idrak Abbasov, a journalist from the newspaper "Aina-Zerkalo" and a member of the Institute for Reporters' Freedom and Safety (IRFS), claims that there are no active investigatory measures take in relation to the pressure on him and his family members, after the case was transferred to the Binagadi District Prosecutor's Office. Even the local municipality is not aware about the owner of the land, where the house belonging to the Abbasov family destructed by the unidentified people is located.

Let us remind you that the journalist had addressed President Ilham Aliev asking to ensure his safety in the context of received threats. After that, Ramil Usubov, the local Interior Minister, took Mr Abbasov's application under his personal control. On October 11, the materials of the investigation, which had been conducted by MIA officers, were transferred to the Binagadi District Prosecutor's Office.

Abbasov dissatisfied with the course of investigation

"Today, I have no official information about how the inquiry goes at the Binagadi District Prosecutor's Office. I haven't addressed them; and I wait from day to day that they will inform me. It was the Binagadi District Police, which had unofficially told me that the Prosecutor's Office opened a criminal case under Article 128 - causing a less severe harm to my health. But this is not adequate to those cruel actions, which had been applied to our family. I was also personally threatened," Idrak Abbasov told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

So far, the "Caucasian Knot" has no comments of law enforcement officials.

Speaking about the incident, Abbasov has noted that the pretext for the attack on his relatives was in the alleged absence of the title on the house in the township of Sulu Tepe, located outside Baku.

Since the late 1980s, Sulu Tepe was spontaneously built up by migrants from rural areas of Azerbaijan; and then - by internally displaced persons (IDPs) from the zone of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, thus, having become a township. Its status remained unidentified. On the one hand, it was under local authorities, on the other - local oil fields were registered on the balance of the Oil and Gas Extraction Department (known as NGDU) "Binagadineft". Now, the Company "Binagadi Oil", which is created on the basis of the NGDU "Binagadineft", claims to own this territory. The owners of the new Company are the State Oil Company of Azerbaijan (SOCAR) and the Company "Global Energy" (registered in the Virgin Islands).

However, as noted by Abbasov, when these areas were actively built-up, the "Binagadi Oil" did not exist, it appeared only in early 2005.

According to his story, people were not just illegal builders - for a certain fee they received "receipts-permits on construction" from local authorities. "Despite the fact that 90 percent of local residents have no "deeds" (certificates on real estate title, - note of the "Caucasian Knot"); however, they all pay their utility bills and land taxes," said Abbasov.

Let us note here that the "Binagadi Oil" began demolishing houses in Sulu Tepe back in 2007. In recent years, this process, as noted by residents of the township, goes without paying compensations, sometimes with use of violence, as was the case with the family of journalist Abbasov, who had earlier written about such violent actions against other residents.

Telman Abbasov, the journalist's father, told about the attack. "When I got out of the car, I was attacked by two men, one from the left and one from the right; they shouted, 'This is his father.' One of them grabbed me by the throat and punched me on my head; then, I remember nothing; I woke up already in hospital. They also caught the children and threw them out of the house; then, they ruined it," said the victim.

"When I heard noise in the yard, I went out with open hands and addressed the men with shoulder straps (they were dressed in the uniform of the security service of the 'Binagadi Oil' Company), asking them: 'What are you doing? Stop!' In response, without any explanations, they started beating my head with a black rubber truncheon; I woke up in the intensive care unit; now I continue my treatment at home," said Naima Gulieva, the journalist's mother.

Guseinov: by pressing journalists and rights defenders, authorities want to intimidate ordinary residents

Emin Guseinov, Director of the Institute for Reporters' Freedom and Safety (IRFS) said, when commenting on the incident, that the authorities were coming up with new sophisticated forms of pressure on journalists.

"This is a good example of how the authorities try to silence the journalist, in particular, by using new methods of suppression. When they see that they can't strike a deal with a journalist, they attack his or her family and look for 'weak links'," said Guseinov.

He noted that even if the Abbasovs' house had been built illegally, it can be demolished only by a court order.

"The authorities have thus shown that they wouldn't beat around the bush with nobody - journalists, rights defenders or ordinary people. Their demonstrative pressure on journalists and human rights defenders, in particular, in relation to the struggle for property, shows ordinary citizen, that if 'we're doing this with journalists, you'll be just crushed down.' I think that this is done purposefully to intimidate ordinary people to make them feel hopeless and stop fighting," the IRFS Director believes.

Meanwhile, Idrak Abbasov is not going to give up and is ready to fight for his rights to the end, up to addressing the ECtHR.

"After my relatives got to hospital, I got into debts. I don't know how to go on. But I'll make it to the ECtHR, and I'll get to bullies were punished," said Abbasov.

Even local authorities have no idea about the owner of the land, where Abbasovs' house is located

Meanwhile, there is no clarity as to the owner of the territory, where the spontaneous township had appeared, and, in particular, the Abbasovs' house.

Neither the SOCAR nor the "Binagadi Oil" Company provide any comments or present any proofs of their ownership of the land. The SOCAR has only promised to investigate the incident. The local Hodzhasan municipality also possesses no information on the status of that territory.

Author: Faik Medzhid; Source: CK correspondent

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060

Know more? Do not be silent!

Lt-feedback_banner

September 29, 2014 17:00

  • Azerbaijani rights defender Anar Mamedli receives Vaclav Havel Award

    Anar Mamedli, an Azerbaijani rights defender and the head of the Centre for Monitoring Elections and Democracy Training (CMEDT) was awarded the Human Rights Award named after Vaclav Havel for 2014. This was announced today during the opening ceremony of the autumn session of the PACE (Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe). The Award was given to Anar's father, since the laureate himself is in prison, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent reports.

September 29, 2014 16:38

September 29, 2014 11:40

  • On September 22-28, three persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus

    During the week of September 22-28, 2014, at least two persons were killed in the armed conflict in Northern Caucasus. One person was wounded. These are the results of calculations made by the "Caucasian Knot" based on its own materials and information from other open sources. The death toll includes one suspected member of the armed underground and one civilian, both of them in Dagestan.

September 29, 2014 10:14

  • Minvody residents demand to investigate beating up of hospital patient

    On September 28, the city of Mineralnye Vody (Minvody) hosted a protest action, during which the protestors demanded to conduct a fair investigation into the fact of beating of a man at the Central District Hospital of the city. The protestors were informed by the local deputy police chief that two-thirds of the total number of the fighters had been detained.

September 28, 2014 09:35

  • Murmansk resident reports to police about spending 18 years in slavery in Dagestan

    On September 26, in the Volgograd Region, policemen removed a 43-year-old man without any ID from the bus route "Makhachkala-Moscow". The detainee claims that he spent the past 18 years in slavery in Dagestan, where his passport was taken away from him. After the man gave his explanations to law enforcers, they released him, and he went to Moscow by hitchhiking. This was reported by the volunteer organization "Alternative".

September 28, 2014 06:48

All news

Погода в 49 городах Кавказа
News archive