07 January 2012, 17:00
Three killed and four wounded in skirmish in Nalchik
Seven persons have fallen victim to a shooting in Nalchik. Two policemen and Alim Chechenov, who attacked them, were killed; three other employees of the road-and-post service (known as DPS) were wounded, as well as one civilian, the MIA of Kabardino-Balkaria reports.
According to the police, Alim Chechenov grasped a submachine gun from a DPS inspector and opened fire at the policemen; he was killed by the return fire.
Later, two policemen – Lieutenant Khusen Mamishev, 31, a dog specialist from Nalchik UVD, and Senior Ensign Khasan Shkhagapsoev, 35, a DPS inspector, – died in hospital from their injuries.
Three other law enforcers and one civilian were wounded and taken to the nearest hospital, says the official website of the MIA of Kabardino-Balkaria.
The position of Alim Chechenov's relatives on the incident is not yet known.
- In Azerbaijan, one of advocates is withdrawn from protection of rights of Leyla Yunus
- Defenders of sentenced Rostov journalist Alexander Tolmachov disagree with Court's verdict
- In Dagestan, District Court re-takes Patimat Nasibova into custody
- Native of Yeisk becomes defendant in case of private jet crash at Vnukovo Airport
- In Grozny, relatives of disappeared persons obtain 60 genetic passports
- Relatives of murdered rights defender Maksharip Aushev ask to transfer investigation to Ingushetia
- Russian HRC to appeal to General Prosecutor's Office in connection with case against Imam Kurman-Ali Baichorov
- CPJ expresses concern over failure of justice in some cases on journalists' murders in Russia
- Rostov journalist Alexander Tolmachov is sentenced to nine years of imprisonment
- Dagestani court announces verdict in case on "honour killing" in Nechaevka