30 March 2012, 19:00
Residents of Kabardino-Balkaria report on unlawful detention and torture of their sons by power agents
Rosa Aishaeva, a resident of the town of Tyrnyauz, and Larisa Nagoeva, a resident of the city of Nalchik, appeal to human rights activists to help in defending the rights of their sons, Murat Aishaev and Murat Nagoev, who, according to the women, had been kidnapped by power agents. According to the women, the young people were tortured to confess to belonging to militant groupings.
Larisa Nagoeva reports in her message that on March 12, at about 10:00 p.m., in Shogentsukov Street in Nalchik, a group of armed men in civilian clothes and masks kidnapped and drove away to some unknown destination her son Murat Nagoev and his friends Murat Aishaev and Arthur Shogenov.
The incident became known to the woman from her friends on the next day. Relatives visited all police stations in the city and the Investigatory Committee; however, they failed to learn any information about the whereabouts of the young man. On March 14, the relatives appealed to the 1st OVD (Interior Division) of the city of Nalchik; however, police officers did not confirm the whereabouts of Murat.
According to the woman, the uncle of Murat Aishaev, while visiting the police station, happened to see them there and said that young men were severely beaten they could not move on their own (they were dragged), and their clothes were torn.
According to Larisa Nagoeva, for a long time, her son was subjected to torture they beat him and passed electric current through his body. "His entire body got abrasions, bruises, and internal injuries and fractures of bones are not excluded. So they beat him to force him to confess to aiding illegal armed formations (IAFs)," writes the woman.
According to her, the criminal case was instituted against her son on charges of aiding IAFs, and on March 15, pre-trial restrictions in the form of keeping in custody was applied to him. As of March 16, Murat Nagoev was kept at the Nalchik SIZO-1 (pre-trial prison). Larisa Nagoeva believes that the charges against her son had been fabricated.
Rosa Aishaeva also reports that her son was unlawfully detained and brought to the 1st OVD of the city of Nalchik for questioning. When she arrived to the OVD with a lawyer, police officers told her that her son was not here and refused to allow the lawyer to visit him.
The woman also claims that during questioning, Murat was severely beaten and tortured with electric current, and they tortured him to confess to aiding militants. According to Rosa Aishaeva, being unable to withstand all abuse and torture, Murat signed everything that they demanded. She has stressed that her son had to take the guilt for the crime he had never actually committed.
"After the police officers knocked out of Murat the confession they needed, they brought him to the temporary detention facility at Iskozh, where he was allegedly inspected on received beatings," states the woman.
Rosa Aishaeva and Larisa Nagoeva fear for the lives of their sons and ask the human rights defenders to take measures to defend the rights of young men and to bring to justice the persons guilty of torture, the Human Rights Centre of the Kabardino-Balkarian Republic reports.
At present, the "Caucasian Knot" does not have comments of representatives of the law enforcement agencies regarding the fate of Murat Nagoev, Murat Aishaev, and Arthur Shogenov and charges filed against them.
- Sister of Babaev who died in Azerbaijani colony disagrees with examination
- Builder of Olympic facilities asks Sochi City Council to support cheated workers
- Solo picket against hostilities in Ukraine held in Volgograd
- Demand to extradite Permyakov to Armenian law enforcement bodies signed by 8000
- Five pupils of rehabilitation centre disappear in Rostov-on-Don
- Advocate of Yuri Vazagashvili demands removal of investigators in his son's death case
- Teen wounded in Chechnya from policeman's pistol
- CoA finds former head of Georgia's Military Police guilty of torture
- Journalistic community perplexed with verdict to Reznik
- Dagestani authorities report 20,000-strong nationwide mavlid