08 May 2012, 20:00
In Dagestan, monument to fallen journalists to be erected
In Makhachkala, in the territory of the Press House, a monument will be erected to honour memory of the Dagestani journalists, who perished while performing their civic duties. On May 5, the appropriate decree was signed by Dagestani President Magomedsalam Magomedov.
The "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told by the administration of the republic's leader that the monument would be erected "to honour memory of the Dagestani journalists, who perished while performing their civic and professional duties to fight extremism and terrorism."
The Dagestani government is in charge to ensure works on the construction of the monument.
The most recent resonant murder of a journalist in Dagestan was the murder of Khadjimurad Kamalov, the founder of the local newspaper "Chernovik" (Draft), committed on December 15, 2011. The criminals shot in Khadjimurad Kamalov 14 times.
In 2010, the death toll was 11 journalists. 7 deceased persons were journalists from the Northern Caucasus, and 3 of them were from Dagestan.
Author: Karina Gadzhieva; Source: CK correspondent
- Azerbaijani GPO questions IRFS accountant
- Azerbaijani rights defender Emil Mamedov pleads not guilty at trial
- Chechen residents could reject law enforcers' night questioning, experts assert
- Armenian rights defenders launch international inquiry into Karen Petrosyan's death
- Johar Tsarnaev's friend ready to plead guilty
- Editor-in-chief of "Derbent Izvestia" was not seriously injured at attack on him
- Advocate: Leyla Yunus exposed to psychological pressure in Azerbaijani SIZO
- Zatulin: Khajimba and Bjaniya have best chances of reaching second round at presidential election in Abkhazia
- In Dagestan, "Yabloko" regional leader refuses to complain about law enforcers' action during his detention
- In Dagestan, wounded FSB agent is in grave but stable condition