08 May 2012, 20:00
In Dagestan, monument to fallen journalists to be erected
In Makhachkala, in the territory of the Press House, a monument will be erected to honour memory of the Dagestani journalists, who perished while performing their civic duties. On May 5, the appropriate decree was signed by Dagestani President Magomedsalam Magomedov.
The "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told by the administration of the republic's leader that the monument would be erected "to honour memory of the Dagestani journalists, who perished while performing their civic and professional duties to fight extremism and terrorism."
The Dagestani government is in charge to ensure works on the construction of the monument.
The most recent resonant murder of a journalist in Dagestan was the murder of Khadjimurad Kamalov, the founder of the local newspaper "Chernovik" (Draft), committed on December 15, 2011. The criminals shot in Khadjimurad Kamalov 14 times.
In 2010, the death toll was 11 journalists. 7 deceased persons were journalists from the Northern Caucasus, and 3 of them were from Dagestan.
Author: Karina Gadzhieva; Source: CK correspondentArticle source
- Azerbaijani rights defender Leyla Yunus arrested for three months
- Azerbaijan GPO bans rights activist Rasul Djafarov to go abroad and arrests his bank accounts
- Volgograd Region: court finds that website "Kavkaz News" is extremist
- Trial on terror act in Sheikh Chirkey's house postponed till September 5
- Consideration of Nadezhda Tsapok's case resumed in Krasnodar Territory
- MCC finds four members of "Hizb ut-Tahrir" guilty in case of putsch planning
- Dagestan starts trial on terror act in house of Sheikh Said Afandi al-Chirkawi
- In Azerbaijan, prosecutors detain IPD Director Leyla Yunus
- Rostov Region: border checkpoints "Gukovo" and "Donetsk" are first observation objects for OSCE mission
- In Dagestan, local residents report on new Imam in mosque of Maidanskoe village