08 May 2012, 20:00
In Dagestan, monument to fallen journalists to be erected
In Makhachkala, in the territory of the Press House, a monument will be erected to honour memory of the Dagestani journalists, who perished while performing their civic duties. On May 5, the appropriate decree was signed by Dagestani President Magomedsalam Magomedov.
The "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told by the administration of the republic's leader that the monument would be erected "to honour memory of the Dagestani journalists, who perished while performing their civic and professional duties to fight extremism and terrorism."
The Dagestani government is in charge to ensure works on the construction of the monument.
The most recent resonant murder of a journalist in Dagestan was the murder of Khadjimurad Kamalov, the founder of the local newspaper "Chernovik" (Draft), committed on December 15, 2011. The criminals shot in Khadjimurad Kamalov 14 times.
In 2010, the death toll was 11 journalists. 7 deceased persons were journalists from the Northern Caucasus, and 3 of them were from Dagestan.
Author: Karina Gadzhieva; Source: CK correspondent
- "Levada-Centre": 64% of Russian citizens believe authorities did their best to rescue hostages in Beslan
- In Krasnodar, activist Darya Polyudova arrested on suspicion of extremism
- In Rostov Region, schools welcome 7000 children of Ukrainian immigrants
- Knowledge Day in NCFD: regions face shortage of schools
- Sapiyat Magomedova complains to Dagestani ID about delays in investigation into case of her beating
- Prosecutor's Office of Azerbaijan bans Namazov's leaving the country
- Dudieva: on October 14, ECtHR to start considering complaint of Beslan victims
- During week of August 25-31, 2014, 3 persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- Moscow opens art project about Beslan victims
- Beslan marks tenth anniversary of terror act