26 April 2013, 23:10
Johar Tsarnaev stops testifying, a source from American authorities report
Johar Tsarnaev, a suspect of committing the terror act in Boston, was read a statement of his rights; after which he ceased testifying. His defence will be headed by the lawyer Miriam Conrad, who earlier defended in court the Briton, who had tried to blow up a Paris-Miami aircraft. According to sources from US authorities, the bombs in Boston could be triggered remotely, while Tsarnaev brothers had planned a terror act in New York.
Johar Tsarnaev stopped testifying as soon as a notice of his rights was read to him; and before that he said that his elder brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev at the very last moment managed to persuade him to take part in the terror act. This was reported on April 25 by the Associated Press with reference to some unnamed US officials.
According to the US TV Channel ABC News, Johar Tsarnaev's defence will be headed by Miriam Conrad, who heads the Boston branch of the Federal Office of State Defence and became known after the case of the Briton Richard Reid, who three months after the attacks of 11 September 2001 brought a bomb in his shoe and tried to trigger it on board the American Airlines aircraft, flying from Paris to Miami. For his crime Reid was sentenced to three life terms and the fine totalling 2 million US dollars.
As for Tamerlan Tsarnaev, his father Anzor has noted that his son's body was not yet given out to relatives. Earlier, Tamerlan's aunt Patimat Suleimanova said that the body had been given out.
"The body of my son hasn't been given out; and we do not even know where it is," Anzor Tsarnaev said on April 25, as the RIA "Novosti" reports.
According to Michael Bloomberg, the New York City Mayor, who spoke referring to the testimonies that Johar Tsarnaev had given to FBI agents, Johar and Tamerlan had planned to use the remaining explosives in Times Square, the BBC reports. The radio has also said that 1.5 years ago Tamerlan Tsarnaev was one and a half years ago entered into the database of the anti-terrorist unit on the request of the CIA.
According to Raymond Kelly, the head of the New York Police, Johar Tsarnaev told investigators that he and his brother had spontaneously decided to go to New York aiming to trigger bombs there, but their plans went awry. The decision, according to Kelly, was made a few days after the explosion in Boston, when the Tsarnaevs were driving a hijacked car, but they had to give up the idea, as they found that the car was almost out of gas; and a few hours later Tamerlan was killed in a shootout with the police, the "Voice of America" reports.
The New York Post wrote on April 25, referring to Congressman Charles Ruppersberger that the alleged perpetrators could use a remote control pendant of a toy car to activate their bombs.
According to the MP, FBI agents showed remnants of the pendant found at the scene of the crime. Mr Ruppersberger has added that the Boston bombers could get knowledge about the manufacture of explosive devices from the online magazine, issued by the terrorist grouping "Al-Qaeda".
- Azerbaijani GPO questions IRFS accountant
- Azerbaijani rights defender Emil Mamedov pleads not guilty at trial
- Chechen residents could reject law enforcers' night questioning, experts assert
- Armenian rights defenders launch international inquiry into Karen Petrosyan's death
- Johar Tsarnaev's friend ready to plead guilty
- Editor-in-chief of "Derbent Izvestia" was not seriously injured at attack on him
- Advocate: Leyla Yunus exposed to psychological pressure in Azerbaijani SIZO
- Zatulin: Khajimba and Bjaniya have best chances of reaching second round at presidential election in Abkhazia
- Infographics. Statistics of victims in Northern Caucasus in July 2014 under the data of the Caucasian Knot
- In Dagestan, "Yabloko" regional leader refuses to complain about law enforcers' action during his detention