23 May 2013, 21:48
Journalist detained in Sochi: I had no drugs in my car
Nikolai Yarst and Philip Vasilenko, members of the filming crew of the Russian Public Television, have been detained today in Sochi. Agents of the UVD (Interior Department) took away from their car a parcel with some gray-green substance, presumably, narcotic drug.
The parcel was sent for examination, said Andrei Kovalenko, the head of the press service of the Sochi UVD, adding that a check is underway in relation to journalist Nikolai Yarst, the RIA "Novosti" reports.
The journalist himself states that he was on his way to the local Investigatory Committee for comments to his material, when he was stopped by police; and before he was stopped, there was no parcel in his car, the "Federal-Press" reports.
- Residents of Dagestani Vremenny settlement complain to Children's Ombudsman about lack of warm clothes
- EP calls on Russia's MoJ to withdraw its claim on dissolution of "Memorial"
- After meeting with Nils Muižnieks, Azerbaijani activists hope for his help in addressing human rights problems
- Advocate of head of Committee "Mothers from Kuma River Area" appeals against arrest of rights defender
- "Levada Centre": situation in Ukraine affects Russians' opinion about Dubrovka terror act in Moscow
- Dagestan: hunger-striking students threaten to quit university if their demands are not met till end of week
- In Dagestan, law enforcers go around households in Gimry
- Azerbaijan sets up "Joint Human Rights Group"
- Rostov-on-Don to open polling station for electing Ukrainian MPs
- MoJ announces its readiness to withdraw claim on dissolution of "Memorial"