23 May 2013, 21:48
Journalist detained in Sochi: I had no drugs in my car
Nikolai Yarst and Philip Vasilenko, members of the filming crew of the Russian Public Television, have been detained today in Sochi. Agents of the UVD (Interior Department) took away from their car a parcel with some gray-green substance, presumably, narcotic drug.
The parcel was sent for examination, said Andrei Kovalenko, the head of the press service of the Sochi UVD, adding that a check is underway in relation to journalist Nikolai Yarst, the RIA "Novosti" reports.
The journalist himself states that he was on his way to the local Investigatory Committee for comments to his material, when he was stopped by police; and before he was stopped, there was no parcel in his car, the "Federal-Press" reports.
- Week in the Caucasus: review of main events of September 15-21
- Hundred women attend First Congress of Muslim Women of North Ossetia
- KBR residents celebrate Adygs' Day for the first time
- Chechnya: case of woman accused of beating up her stepdaughter sent to court
- For the first time ever, EP's resolution threats to use sanctions against Azerbaijan authorities, opposition asserts
- Entrepreneur's house in Makhachkala shelled from grenade launcher
- Krasnodar: "EcoWatch" activist holds picket in support of Evgeny Vitishko
- Volgograd, parents of preschool children demand repairs of kindergartens
- Mother of Radjab Mustafaev shot dead in Semender claims her son was not militant
- Dagestani journalists support demand to reopen inquiry into Akhmednabiev's murder