15 June 2013, 12:40
Moscow Basmanny Court temporarily removes Mayor of Makhachkala Said Amirov from the post
On June 14, the Basmanny Court of Moscow suspended the Mayor of Makhachkala Said Amirov, who is accused of involvement in the murder of an investigator. The suspension was motivated by the fact that Amirov, if staying at office, could put pressure on victims and witnesses.
The official himself did not object to his removal from office, but his defence did not agree with the ruling of the court, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent reports.
It became known yesterday that the Mayor of Makhachkala, while in custody in Moscow, cut his wrist and feet veins. On June 14, Amirov's suicide attempt was confirmed by Christina Belousova, the spokesperson of the FSIN (Russia's Penitentiary Service). She also noted that now Amirov is kept not in the Lefortovo SIZO (pre-trial prison), but in hospital; however, she refused to specify the particular place.
Amirov's advocates have noted that the health state of their client was satisfactory. Said Amirov said that had not committed any suicide attempts, and had no ideas of this sort.
Author: Yulia Buslavskaya, Tatiana Gantimurova; Source: CK correspondents
- Mother of many children from Volgograd detained in Moscow during a solo picket
- Five mosque-goers detained in Makhachkala, eyewitnesses report
- In Chechnya Ruslan Kutaev has his imprisonment reduced by two months
- Rostov journalist Alexander Tolmachov appealed against his conviction
- Volgograd: at trial on terror acts Dadaev again refuses to plead guilty
- PFPA activist Mukhammed Mirzali arrested in Azerbaijan
- ECtHR asks Russia to clarify the case of inmate of Stavropol penal colony
- Volgograd mothers of large families see no reaction to their pickets in Moscow
- Ingushetia cancels celebration events for jubilee of its first President Ruslan Aushev
- In Moscow, Pirogov Medical University to introduce medical uniform instead of ban on religious clothes