15 June 2013, 12:40
Moscow Basmanny Court temporarily removes Mayor of Makhachkala Said Amirov from the post
On June 14, the Basmanny Court of Moscow suspended the Mayor of Makhachkala Said Amirov, who is accused of involvement in the murder of an investigator. The suspension was motivated by the fact that Amirov, if staying at office, could put pressure on victims and witnesses.
The official himself did not object to his removal from office, but his defence did not agree with the ruling of the court, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent reports.
It became known yesterday that the Mayor of Makhachkala, while in custody in Moscow, cut his wrist and feet veins. On June 14, Amirov's suicide attempt was confirmed by Christina Belousova, the spokesperson of the FSIN (Russia's Penitentiary Service). She also noted that now Amirov is kept not in the Lefortovo SIZO (pre-trial prison), but in hospital; however, she refused to specify the particular place.
Amirov's advocates have noted that the health state of their client was satisfactory. Said Amirov said that had not committed any suicide attempts, and had no ideas of this sort.
Author: Yulia Buslavskaya, Tatiana Gantimurova; Source: CK correspondents
- IS recruiters focus on successful students from North-Caucasian higher schools
- Court grants Chechen MIA's claim against Murad Amriev and rights defenders
- In Kabardino-Balkaria, local residents pay tribute to victims of deportation of Balkars
- In Ingushetia, police seize weapons and ammunition from local resident
- Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of 44 shootings during one day
- Armenia's resolution against acquittal of genocides adopted by UN Council
- In Cherkessk, court refuses to acquit Leyla Arkelova in case of defamation
- Dagestani Prosecutor's Office demands to punish officials for poor status of school buildings
- Rostov political strategists expect verdict of guilty in MP Bessonov's case
- Georgian NGOs protest against mercy killing of healthy animals