15 June 2013, 12:40
Moscow Basmanny Court temporarily removes Mayor of Makhachkala Said Amirov from the post
On June 14, the Basmanny Court of Moscow suspended the Mayor of Makhachkala Said Amirov, who is accused of involvement in the murder of an investigator. The suspension was motivated by the fact that Amirov, if staying at office, could put pressure on victims and witnesses.
The official himself did not object to his removal from office, but his defence did not agree with the ruling of the court, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent reports.
It became known yesterday that the Mayor of Makhachkala, while in custody in Moscow, cut his wrist and feet veins. On June 14, Amirov's suicide attempt was confirmed by Christina Belousova, the spokesperson of the FSIN (Russia's Penitentiary Service). She also noted that now Amirov is kept not in the Lefortovo SIZO (pre-trial prison), but in hospital; however, she refused to specify the particular place.
Amirov's advocates have noted that the health state of their client was satisfactory. Said Amirov said that had not committed any suicide attempts, and had no ideas of this sort.
Author: Yulia Buslavskaya, Tatiana Gantimurova; Source: CK correspondents
- International Society ‘Memorial’ calls for cessation of military aggression against Ukraine. Appeal to the President of the Russian Federation
- In Tbilisi, five NGO activists are fined for attempting to paint bridge in Ukrainian colours
- Chechen SC stops proceeding on Kutaev's complaint of torture
- "Soldiers' Mothers of Saint Petersburg" put on register of foreign agents after requesting about Russian militaries in Ukraine
- In Georgian colonies, 32 prisoners continue their hunger strike, Archil Talakvadze reports
- Stavropol policemen reveal no explosives in bomb-like object
- In Chechnya, kindergarten teacher suspected of beating children
- In Sochi, "Rospotrebnadzor" suspends operation of two McDonald's restaurants
- Doctors transfer four-year-old girl beaten in Grozny to neurological ward of Republic's Children's Hospital
- Sochi police demand to stop construction of high-rise building