24 July 2013, 02:59
Anna Politkovskaya's children refuse to participate in trial on her murder case
The children of Anna Politkovskaya, the murdered journalist, refused to participate in the trial on the case of her murder, since they treated the trial as illegitimate. This was stated in the formal statement made by Ilya Politkovsky and Vera Politkovskaya.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on the other day, the court had selected 12 main and 10 additional jurors to consider the case. The victims in the case and their representatives did not participate in the selection of the jurors.
"We did not select the jury, and we were deprived of the right to file the required motions we were simply crossed out of the list of the interested parties," Ilya Politkovsky and Vera Politkovskaya have emphasized in their statement released on July 23.
The Moscow City Court treats arguments presented by the children of Anna Politkovskaya as unfounded. "The Russian Code of Criminal Procedure allows the selection of the jury in the absence of the victims provided they had been properly notified," the "Interfax" quotes Anna Usachova, the official representative of the Moscow City Court.
Anna Usachova has emphasized that the Court could not further postpone the process of the jury selection. She has added that the Anna Politkovskaya's family members will be able further exercise their right as a party to the trial.
- Hundred women attend First Congress of Muslim Women of North Ossetia
- KBR residents celebrate Adygs' Day for the first time
- In Nakhichevan, policemen file charge against beaten human rights defender Ilgar Nasibov
- Chechnya: case of woman accused of beating up her stepdaughter sent to court
- For the first time ever, EP's resolution threats to use sanctions against Azerbaijan authorities, opposition asserts
- Entrepreneur's house in Makhachkala shelled from grenade launcher
- Krasnodar: "EcoWatch" activist holds picket in support of Evgeny Vitishko
- Volgograd, parents of preschool children demand repairs of kindergartens
- Mother of Radjab Mustafaev shot dead in Semender claims her son was not militant
- Dagestani journalists support demand to reopen inquiry into Akhmednabiev's murder