24 July 2013, 02:59
Anna Politkovskaya's children refuse to participate in trial on her murder case
The children of Anna Politkovskaya, the murdered journalist, refused to participate in the trial on the case of her murder, since they treated the trial as illegitimate. This was stated in the formal statement made by Ilya Politkovsky and Vera Politkovskaya.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on the other day, the court had selected 12 main and 10 additional jurors to consider the case. The victims in the case and their representatives did not participate in the selection of the jurors.
"We did not select the jury, and we were deprived of the right to file the required motions we were simply crossed out of the list of the interested parties," Ilya Politkovsky and Vera Politkovskaya have emphasized in their statement released on July 23.
The Moscow City Court treats arguments presented by the children of Anna Politkovskaya as unfounded. "The Russian Code of Criminal Procedure allows the selection of the jury in the absence of the victims provided they had been properly notified," the "Interfax" quotes Anna Usachova, the official representative of the Moscow City Court.
Anna Usachova has emphasized that the Court could not further postpone the process of the jury selection. She has added that the Anna Politkovskaya's family members will be able further exercise their right as a party to the trial.
- Residents of Dagestani Vremenny settlement complain to Children's Ombudsman about lack of warm clothes
- EP calls on Russia's MoJ to withdraw its claim on dissolution of "Memorial"
- Azerbaijan saves oilers who fell into sea during accident at oil-extraction platform
- After meeting with Nils Muižnieks, Azerbaijani activists hope for his help in addressing human rights problems
- Russia's SC postpones consideration of appeal on "Domodedovo" Airport terror act
- Advocate of head of Committee "Mothers from Kuma River Area" appeals against arrest of rights defender
- Laureates of Rafto Award demand from Azerbaijani authorities to drop charges against Ilgar Nasibov
- "Levada Centre": situation in Ukraine affects Russians' opinion about Dubrovka terror act in Moscow
- Dagestan: hunger-striking students threaten to quit university if their demands are not met till end of week
- Chechnya opens large sports-and-tourist complex named "Kezenoi Am"