26 December 2013, 00:17
Several Russian cities host pickets in support of Krasnodar ecologist Evgeny Vitishko
On December 25, a number of Russian cities, including Novosibirsk, Moscow, Krasnodar, Sochi, and Voronezh, hosted actions rallies in support of Evgeny Vitishko, a Kuban activist and ecologist, who was sentenced in the case of the "Tkachov's summer cottage". Blogger Oleg Kozyrev has called on supporters of Evgeny Vitishko to write on the official website of the Russian President the calls in defence of the activist and to disseminate the information about the ecologist's case through the social networks.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that the court found Evgeny Vitishko and Suren Gazaryan, the activists from the "Ecological Watch for Northern Caucasus" guilty of damaging the fence around the so-called "summer cottages of Alexander Tkachov, Kuban Governor". Both ecologists were sentenced to three years of conditional imprisonment. The Inspection of the Federal Penitentiary Service Department (known as UFSIN) demanded to change the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko to the actual imprisonment and filed an appropriate appeal to the court. On December 20, the Tuapse Court cancelled the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko and sentenced him to the actual imprisonment. The court's decision entailed protests of members of political parties and social and ecological organizations.
Author: Oleg Krasnov, Natalia Dorokhina; Source: CK correspondents
- ECtHR holds hearings on denial of Armenian Genocide
- Baku policemen accept application about attack from rights defender Ismaylova
- Two suspected militants' helpers to stand trial in Dagestan
- Ingushetia returns two potential participants of war in Syria
- Court leaves native of Chechnya suspected of Dubrovka terror act in custody
- Stavropol Territory: police and Cossacks urge not to give national context to murder in Minvody
- Russia's SC refuses to MoJ to liquidate "Memorial"
- Rights defender Ismaylova reports that Baku police refused to take her application about attack
- Court postpones consideration of complaint of HRC "Memorial" till February 12*
- In Armenia, three persons are successors of Avetisyan family