26 December 2013, 00:17
Several Russian cities host pickets in support of Krasnodar ecologist Evgeny Vitishko
On December 25, a number of Russian cities, including Novosibirsk, Moscow, Krasnodar, Sochi, and Voronezh, hosted actions rallies in support of Evgeny Vitishko, a Kuban activist and ecologist, who was sentenced in the case of the "Tkachov's summer cottage". Blogger Oleg Kozyrev has called on supporters of Evgeny Vitishko to write on the official website of the Russian President the calls in defence of the activist and to disseminate the information about the ecologist's case through the social networks.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that the court found Evgeny Vitishko and Suren Gazaryan, the activists from the "Ecological Watch for Northern Caucasus" guilty of damaging the fence around the so-called "summer cottages of Alexander Tkachov, Kuban Governor". Both ecologists were sentenced to three years of conditional imprisonment. The Inspection of the Federal Penitentiary Service Department (known as UFSIN) demanded to change the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko to the actual imprisonment and filed an appropriate appeal to the court. On December 20, the Tuapse Court cancelled the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko and sentenced him to the actual imprisonment. The court's decision entailed protests of members of political parties and social and ecological organizations.
Author: Oleg Krasnov, Natalia Dorokhina; Source: CK correspondents
- Rauf Mirkadirov's family granted political asylum in Switzerland
- Kislovodsk prosecutor's office cancels rejection to open criminal case on threats to Baichorov
- Turkic conference in Grozny presents educational projects for students and Lyceum pupils
- Tsarnaev's classmate confesses of keeping firearms and drugs
- Chechen residents report demolition of militant's family house in Gudermes District
- Acts of violence against journalists in Armenia remain unpunished, rights defenders assert
- Ilkin Rustamzade put into dungeon of Baku SIZO for second time within month
- Court in Baku rejects complaint of rights defender Rasul Jafarov who claimed to change his custody
- Defence of Chechen native convicted in Pugachov intends to appeal against the verdict
- Armenian court takes to consideration appeals in the case of participants of "Million Mask March"