26 December 2013, 00:17
Several Russian cities host pickets in support of Krasnodar ecologist Evgeny Vitishko
On December 25, a number of Russian cities, including Novosibirsk, Moscow, Krasnodar, Sochi, and Voronezh, hosted actions rallies in support of Evgeny Vitishko, a Kuban activist and ecologist, who was sentenced in the case of the "Tkachov's summer cottage". Blogger Oleg Kozyrev has called on supporters of Evgeny Vitishko to write on the official website of the Russian President the calls in defence of the activist and to disseminate the information about the ecologist's case through the social networks.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that the court found Evgeny Vitishko and Suren Gazaryan, the activists from the "Ecological Watch for Northern Caucasus" guilty of damaging the fence around the so-called "summer cottages of Alexander Tkachov, Kuban Governor". Both ecologists were sentenced to three years of conditional imprisonment. The Inspection of the Federal Penitentiary Service Department (known as UFSIN) demanded to change the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko to the actual imprisonment and filed an appropriate appeal to the court. On December 20, the Tuapse Court cancelled the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko and sentenced him to the actual imprisonment. The court's decision entailed protests of members of political parties and social and ecological organizations.
Author: Oleg Krasnov, Natalia Dorokhina; Source: CK correspondents
- Residents of Dagestani village of Shushiya suspended their hunger strike
- KChR: 85 people donate blood in memory of deportation victims
- Advocate of Martynyuk, Krasnodar activist, files complaint to ECtHR
- FSB announces capture of member of Dubrovka hostage-taking
- Casualties of explosion in Grozny were not militants
- South-Ossetian inmates of Gldani Prison stop hunger strike
- Suren Gazaryan, Kuban "EcoWatch" activist, put on international wanted list
- In Volgograd, unidentified persons blow up ATM with grenade
- In Gyumri, Valery Permyakov to undergo forensic psychiatric examination
- Chief physician of district polyclinic shot dead in Derbent