26 December 2013, 00:17
Several Russian cities host pickets in support of Krasnodar ecologist Evgeny Vitishko
On December 25, a number of Russian cities, including Novosibirsk, Moscow, Krasnodar, Sochi, and Voronezh, hosted actions rallies in support of Evgeny Vitishko, a Kuban activist and ecologist, who was sentenced in the case of the "Tkachov's summer cottage". Blogger Oleg Kozyrev has called on supporters of Evgeny Vitishko to write on the official website of the Russian President the calls in defence of the activist and to disseminate the information about the ecologist's case through the social networks.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that the court found Evgeny Vitishko and Suren Gazaryan, the activists from the "Ecological Watch for Northern Caucasus" guilty of damaging the fence around the so-called "summer cottages of Alexander Tkachov, Kuban Governor". Both ecologists were sentenced to three years of conditional imprisonment. The Inspection of the Federal Penitentiary Service Department (known as UFSIN) demanded to change the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko to the actual imprisonment and filed an appropriate appeal to the court. On December 20, the Tuapse Court cancelled the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko and sentenced him to the actual imprisonment. The court's decision entailed protests of members of political parties and social and ecological organizations.
Author: Oleg Krasnov, Natalia Dorokhina; Source: CK correspondents
- Marriage of Guchigov and Goylabieva reveals vulnerability of first wives
- Moscow bikers demand to take control over investigation into fatal road traffic accident involving Chechen car
- "Protoporos" ferry crew fails to provide good service when vessel breaks down, passengers complain
- Residents of Nalchik hold mourning march on Adygs' Memory Day
- Ilham Aliev's refusal to attend EaP summit has to do to criticism of human rights violations
- Head of Novokubansk District offered to resign
- Former special forces officer appointed new chief of North-Caucasian VOGOiP
- Grozny residents report on interruptions in electricity and water supply
- Ashot Gulyan re-elected speaker of NKR's National Assembly
- Sergey Krivenko, HRC member, speaks at Bogatenkova's trial