26 December 2013, 00:17
Several Russian cities host pickets in support of Krasnodar ecologist Evgeny Vitishko
On December 25, a number of Russian cities, including Novosibirsk, Moscow, Krasnodar, Sochi, and Voronezh, hosted actions rallies in support of Evgeny Vitishko, a Kuban activist and ecologist, who was sentenced in the case of the "Tkachov's summer cottage". Blogger Oleg Kozyrev has called on supporters of Evgeny Vitishko to write on the official website of the Russian President the calls in defence of the activist and to disseminate the information about the ecologist's case through the social networks.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that the court found Evgeny Vitishko and Suren Gazaryan, the activists from the "Ecological Watch for Northern Caucasus" guilty of damaging the fence around the so-called "summer cottages of Alexander Tkachov, Kuban Governor". Both ecologists were sentenced to three years of conditional imprisonment. The Inspection of the Federal Penitentiary Service Department (known as UFSIN) demanded to change the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko to the actual imprisonment and filed an appropriate appeal to the court. On December 20, the Tuapse Court cancelled the conditional sentence for Evgeny Vitishko and sentenced him to the actual imprisonment. The court's decision entailed protests of members of political parties and social and ecological organizations.
Author: Oleg Krasnov, Natalia Dorokhina; Source: CK correspondents
- Armenian rights defenders call on politicians to recognize Shant Arutyunyan as political prisoner
- HRC "Memorial" calls on head of Dagestan to intervene in the situation in Untsukul District
- Head of Committee "Mothers from Kuma River Area" detained in Stavropol Territory released
- Ex-Prime Minister Vano Merabishvili is sentenced to three years of imprisonment in case of Sandro Girgvliani's murder
- Leyla Yunus transferred to SIZO of Azerbaijani MNS
- Chechen law enforcers search for suspected accomplice of organizer of explosion on Grozny Day
- Prior to his disappearance in 2012, Khasan Zalikhanov, killed in Nalchik, was a policeman
- Residents of Vremenny complain to Ramazan Abdulatipov about law enforcers' actions
- ICRF: killed Aliskhanov was plotting attempt on policemen on eve of to terror act in Grozny
- DPS unit shelled in Nalchik: two killed and one wounded