15 January 2014, 18:58
Olympic torch relay route shortened in Dagestan
For safety reasons, Olympic torch relay in Dagestan will be held in the "Anji Arena", and the number of torchbearers will be cut from 270 to 67. This was reported by an official from the Ministry for Sports of Dagestan.
On January 27, the Olympic torch relay will arrive to Dagestan from Astrakhan. It was to go through the main avenues of Makhachkala, near historic monuments, and to be completed in the central square of the capital of Dagestan.
The "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told by Olga Gorlova, a chief expert from the Department of Physical Culture of the Ministry for Sports of Dagestan, the above measure was taken to ensure public order, prevent terror acts and extremist actions during the Olympic torch relay.
Ramazan Abdulatipov, the leader of Dagestan, is to attend the ceremony of lighting the Olympic flame bowl. Then, according to Olga Gorlova, the Olympic torch will travel to Grozny.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that Ingush law enforcers are also preparing to holding of the Olympic torch relay. It is planned that the Olympic torch relay will be held in two Ingush cities Magas and Nazran.
According to Alikhan Kuzgov, Secretary of the Security Council of Ingushetia, law enforcers "held special sessions and briefings to increase vigilance" among volunteers, torchbearers, and other persons who would have access to the places of the Olympic torch relay in Ingushetia.
Author: Oleg Ionov; Source: CK correspondent
- Over 300 turkologists come to Moscow conference on history of Karachay-Balkar people
- Three Makhachkala women suspend hunger strike demanding Abdulatipov's resignation
- Russia's SC upholds verdict to figurants of terror act in Domodedovo
- Inmates stop hunger strike in Batumi prison
- Dagestan sets up commission to evaluate damage in Vremenny
- Defence of convicts for terror act in Domodedovo Airport demand to revise the sentence
- Mirzamagomedov convicted in Dagestan was sent out from Chelyabinsk with burns, rights defenders assert
- "EcoWatch" appeals against the decision to liquidate it
- NATO rejects Russian-Abkhaz treaty
- Yerevan hosts memorial service for crew members of downed helicopter