15 January 2014, 18:58
Olympic torch relay route shortened in Dagestan
For safety reasons, Olympic torch relay in Dagestan will be held in the "Anji Arena", and the number of torchbearers will be cut from 270 to 67. This was reported by an official from the Ministry for Sports of Dagestan.
On January 27, the Olympic torch relay will arrive to Dagestan from Astrakhan. It was to go through the main avenues of Makhachkala, near historic monuments, and to be completed in the central square of the capital of Dagestan.
The "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told by Olga Gorlova, a chief expert from the Department of Physical Culture of the Ministry for Sports of Dagestan, the above measure was taken to ensure public order, prevent terror acts and extremist actions during the Olympic torch relay.
Ramazan Abdulatipov, the leader of Dagestan, is to attend the ceremony of lighting the Olympic flame bowl. Then, according to Olga Gorlova, the Olympic torch will travel to Grozny.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that Ingush law enforcers are also preparing to holding of the Olympic torch relay. It is planned that the Olympic torch relay will be held in two Ingush cities Magas and Nazran.
According to Alikhan Kuzgov, Secretary of the Security Council of Ingushetia, law enforcers "held special sessions and briefings to increase vigilance" among volunteers, torchbearers, and other persons who would have access to the places of the Olympic torch relay in Ingushetia.
Author: Oleg Ionov; Source: CK correspondent
- Residents of Dagestani Vremenny settlement complain to Children's Ombudsman about lack of warm clothes
- EP calls on Russia's MoJ to withdraw its claim on dissolution of "Memorial"
- After meeting with Nils Muižnieks, Azerbaijani activists hope for his help in addressing human rights problems
- Advocate of head of Committee "Mothers from Kuma River Area" appeals against arrest of rights defender
- "Levada Centre": situation in Ukraine affects Russians' opinion about Dubrovka terror act in Moscow
- Dagestan: hunger-striking students threaten to quit university if their demands are not met till end of week
- In Dagestan, law enforcers go around households in Gimry
- Azerbaijan sets up "Joint Human Rights Group"
- Rostov-on-Don to open polling station for electing Ukrainian MPs
- MoJ announces its readiness to withdraw claim on dissolution of "Memorial"