23 May 2014, 13:20
NAC announces completion of CTO in Baksan; FSB officer killed
A source from the Russian National Antiterrorist Committee (NAC) has informed the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent that in the course of a special operation held on Friday, May 23, in the city of Baksan in the Kabardino-Balkarian Republic (KBR), apart from four suspected militants, an FSB officer was killed. On midday, the counterterrorist operation (CTO) regime was lifted.
Earlier, power agents blocked one of private houses, in which, according to their version, militants were hiding. During a special operation residents of neighbouring houses were evacuated. In response to the offer to surrender, the people who were in the house opened fire; and a shootout began.
The suspected militants waged an intense fire on law enforcers out of the dugout, a source from the NAC told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent. According to his story an officer of the Russian FSB was deadly wounded in the armed clash; there are no casualties among civilians.
Let us remind you that after the operation the NAC reported about the liquidation of four members of an illegal armed formation (IAF), including its head Astemir Berkhamov. According to the NAC, this IAF was an element of the terrorist organization "Imarat Kavkaz"; and all the killed militants were wanted for involvement in killings.
Author: Lyudmila Maratova; Source: CK correspondent
- "Levada-Centre": 64% of Russian citizens believe authorities did their best to rescue hostages in Beslan
- In Krasnodar, activist Darya Polyudova arrested on suspicion of extremism
- In Rostov Region, schools welcome 7000 children of Ukrainian immigrants
- Knowledge Day in NCFD: regions face shortage of schools
- Sapiyat Magomedova complains to Dagestani ID about delays in investigation into case of her beating
- Zarema Khadjirokova accused of fraud goes on hunger strike in Maikop
- Prosecutor's Office of Azerbaijan bans Namazov's leaving the country
- Dudieva: on October 14, ECtHR to start considering complaint of Beslan victims
- During week of August 25-31, 2014, 3 persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- Moscow opens art project about Beslan victims