21 September 2004, 22:38

Chechen public indignant at intention to pardon Budanov

Representatives of Chechen authorities have roundly denounced the intention of Ulyanovsk regional authorities to relieve Colonel Yuri Budanov of criminal responsibility for the murder of Chechen girl Elza Kungayeva.

Yesterday, September 20, head of the Chechen State Council Taus Dzhabrailov said to a local TV channel he saw no grounds for announcing a pardon to Colonel Budanov. "I think Budanov and Ulman (commander of the Russian Defense Ministry's special operations group, which shot dead 6 civilians in the Shatoy district of Chechnya in the winter of 2001 - editor's note) are murders. They killed innocent people. And they must be isolated from the other normal, healthy people." Mr Dzhabrailov said.

Earlier, First Deputy Prime Minister of the Chechen Government Ramzan Kadyrov issued open threats towards Budanov. "If Budanov is amnestied, we will find an opportunity to reward him according to his deserts," he said. At the same time, the Chechen regional branch of the United Russia party addressed the State Duma and the Russian President with a request not to grant amnesty to Yuri Budanov.

Author: Sultan Abubakarov, CK correspondent; Source: Caucasian Knot

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060

Know more? Do not be silent!

Lt-feedback_banner

September 29, 2014 17:00

  • Azerbaijani rights defender Anar Mamedli receives Vaclav Havel Award

    Anar Mamedli, an Azerbaijani rights defender and the head of the Centre for Monitoring Elections and Democracy Training (CMEDT) was awarded the Human Rights Award named after Vaclav Havel for 2014. This was announced today during the opening ceremony of the autumn session of the PACE (Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe). The Award was given to Anar's father, since the laureate himself is in prison, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent reports.

September 29, 2014 16:38

September 29, 2014 11:40

  • On September 22-28, three persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus

    During the week of September 22-28, 2014, at least two persons were killed in the armed conflict in Northern Caucasus. One person was wounded. These are the results of calculations made by the "Caucasian Knot" based on its own materials and information from other open sources. The death toll includes one suspected member of the armed underground and one civilian, both of them in Dagestan.

September 29, 2014 10:14

  • Minvody residents demand to investigate beating up of hospital patient

    On September 28, the city of Mineralnye Vody (Minvody) hosted a protest action, during which the protestors demanded to conduct a fair investigation into the fact of beating of a man at the Central District Hospital of the city. The protestors were informed by the local deputy police chief that two-thirds of the total number of the fighters had been detained.

September 28, 2014 09:35

  • Murmansk resident reports to police about spending 18 years in slavery in Dagestan

    On September 26, in the Volgograd Region, policemen removed a 43-year-old man without any ID from the bus route "Makhachkala-Moscow". The detainee claims that he spent the past 18 years in slavery in Dagestan, where his passport was taken away from him. After the man gave his explanations to law enforcers, they released him, and he went to Moscow by hitchhiking. This was reported by the volunteer organization "Alternative".

September 28, 2014 06:48

All news

Погода в 49 городах Кавказа
News archive