21 September 2004, 22:38
Chechen public indignant at intention to pardon Budanov
Representatives of Chechen authorities have roundly denounced the intention of Ulyanovsk regional authorities to relieve Colonel Yuri Budanov of criminal responsibility for the murder of Chechen girl Elza Kungayeva.
Yesterday, September 20, head of the Chechen State Council Taus Dzhabrailov said to a local TV channel he saw no grounds for announcing a pardon to Colonel Budanov. "I think Budanov and Ulman (commander of the Russian Defense Ministry's special operations group, which shot dead 6 civilians in the Shatoy district of Chechnya in the winter of 2001 - editor's note) are murders. They killed innocent people. And they must be isolated from the other normal, healthy people." Mr Dzhabrailov said.
Earlier, First Deputy Prime Minister of the Chechen Government Ramzan Kadyrov issued open threats towards Budanov. "If Budanov is amnestied, we will find an opportunity to reward him according to his deserts," he said. At the same time, the Chechen regional branch of the United Russia party addressed the State Duma and the Russian President with a request not to grant amnesty to Yuri Budanov.
Author: Sultan Abubakarov, CK correspondent; Source: Caucasian KnotArticle source
- MCC finds Orkhan Zeinalov guilty of Yegor Scherbakov's murder in Biryulyovo
- During week of July 21-27, 2014, 6 persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- Levon Airapetyan's friend reports on deterioration of businessman's health at Moscow SIZO
- MfE: Rostov Region accommodates more than 40,000 Ukrainian refugees
- On eve of Eid al-Fitr, Chechnya enhances security measures
- Chechen woman suspected of financing members of Gakaev brothers' IAF
- Anaklia hosts rally in support of "KaZantip" Festival
- FSB: about 40 Ukrainian border guards get to Russia across Rostov section of Russian-Ukrainian border
- Georgia protests against "KaZantip" Festival
- Azerbaijan: Faraj Kerimli, arrested activist of "Musavat" Party, stated his innocence