21 September 2004, 22:38
Chechen public indignant at intention to pardon Budanov
Representatives of Chechen authorities have roundly denounced the intention of Ulyanovsk regional authorities to relieve Colonel Yuri Budanov of criminal responsibility for the murder of Chechen girl Elza Kungayeva.
Yesterday, September 20, head of the Chechen State Council Taus Dzhabrailov said to a local TV channel he saw no grounds for announcing a pardon to Colonel Budanov. "I think Budanov and Ulman (commander of the Russian Defense Ministry's special operations group, which shot dead 6 civilians in the Shatoy district of Chechnya in the winter of 2001 - editor's note) are murders. They killed innocent people. And they must be isolated from the other normal, healthy people." Mr Dzhabrailov said.
Earlier, First Deputy Prime Minister of the Chechen Government Ramzan Kadyrov issued open threats towards Budanov. "If Budanov is amnestied, we will find an opportunity to reward him according to his deserts," he said. At the same time, the Chechen regional branch of the United Russia party addressed the State Duma and the Russian President with a request not to grant amnesty to Yuri Budanov.
Author: Sultan Abubakarov, CK correspondent; Source: Caucasian Knot
- NKR states that Azerbaijan is constantly shelling the area of helicopter crash
- In Dagestan, meeting on Karaman ends in a brawl
- Hideout with IEDs worth 50 kg of TNT found in Dagestan
- Azerbaijani journalist Mirkadyrov not released from prison after his arrest term
- Azerbaijan enacts amendments to the law on NGOs and grants
- Third shift starts hunger-striking in Karaman
- Three powerful bombs neutralized in Ingushetia
- Supposed militants' helper detained in Nazran
- Power agents are not engaged in mass persecution of believers in KChR, experts say
- Employees of Georgian Ombudsman report prisoners are beaten in Gldani Prison