21 September 2004, 22:38
Chechen public indignant at intention to pardon Budanov
Representatives of Chechen authorities have roundly denounced the intention of Ulyanovsk regional authorities to relieve Colonel Yuri Budanov of criminal responsibility for the murder of Chechen girl Elza Kungayeva.
Yesterday, September 20, head of the Chechen State Council Taus Dzhabrailov said to a local TV channel he saw no grounds for announcing a pardon to Colonel Budanov. "I think Budanov and Ulman (commander of the Russian Defense Ministry's special operations group, which shot dead 6 civilians in the Shatoy district of Chechnya in the winter of 2001 - editor's note) are murders. They killed innocent people. And they must be isolated from the other normal, healthy people." Mr Dzhabrailov said.
Earlier, First Deputy Prime Minister of the Chechen Government Ramzan Kadyrov issued open threats towards Budanov. "If Budanov is amnestied, we will find an opportunity to reward him according to his deserts," he said. At the same time, the Chechen regional branch of the United Russia party addressed the State Duma and the Russian President with a request not to grant amnesty to Yuri Budanov.
Author: Sultan Abubakarov, CK correspondent; Source: Caucasian Knot
- DPS unit shelled in Nalchik: two killed and one wounded
- MIA reports killing of organizer of terror act in Grozny
- Relatives of Elshan Salikhov, killed in Derbent, deny his involvement in militants' activities
- Shamil Gazaliev from Chechnya suspected of involvement in warfare in Syria
- Gimry resident reports detention of three suspected militants in Vremenny
- Volgograd: residents of Srednaya Akhtuba picket against expanded clay factories
- Grozny law enforcers search for two suspected suicide bombers, a police source reports
- In Krasnodar, "Solidarity" activist stabbed because of his anti-Putin inscription
- Armenia: organizer of "Million Mask March" sentenced to six years of imprisonment
- In Budyonnovsk, head of Committee of Soldiers' Mothers detained after search in NGO's office