14 January 2005, 23:40
Shariat organization succeeds to Dzhennet rebel group
The Dagestani Jamaats "Shariat" is likely to be a new name of Rasul Makasharipov's terrorist group Dzhennet, a top-ranking official at the Dagestani Interior Ministry told the Caucasian Knot correspondent. The media reported earlier that the Shariat organization claimed responsibility for a series of terror attacks against officers of Dagestani security agencies in December 2004. "All members of the Dzhennet group have been destroyed, and only its leader Rasul Makasharipov is free. So he is likely to have formed a new group with old tasks: terror attacks against officers of the Interior Ministry and the FSB (Federal Security Service), prosecutors, and court officials in Dagestan," the source said.
Rasul Makasharipov, nicknamed Muslim, is a 33-year-old native of Dagestan's Tsumadinsky district. He is a former interpreter of notorious field commander Khattab. In 1997, the father expelled him from the house, and the young man moved to Chechnya. Then Makasharipov appeared in Dagestan again and organized the Dzhennet group.
Rebels under the command of Rasul Makasharipov have been killing policemen, judges and prosecutors in Dagestan since 2002. The number of their victims has already reached 30 people.
Author: Emilia Kazumova, CK correspondent;Article source
- Dagestan: trial of Abakarova, accused of possessing "suicide bomber's belt", postponed till August 18
- Defence of Leyla Yunus insists on her release from custody
- Authorities of Rostov Region report accommodation of over 40,000 Ukrainian refugees
- Azerbaijani soldier killed in Karabakh conflict zone
- Firearms were planted on resident of Dagestan Musa Magomedov at search, his relatives assert
- "Centre of Legal Technologies": 92 million roubles withdrawn illegally from Nadezhda Tsapok's account
- State Duma MPs, who visited Rostov Region, offer to increase financial aid to Ukrainian refugees
- Defence plans to challenge MCC's verdict on "Hizb ut-Tahrir" case
- Victims' testimonies in "Million Mask March" case confirm defendants' innocence, says the defence
- Dagestani SC postpones session on Zarema Bagavutdinova's case