14 January 2005, 23:40
Shariat organization succeeds to Dzhennet rebel group
The Dagestani Jamaats "Shariat" is likely to be a new name of Rasul Makasharipov's terrorist group Dzhennet, a top-ranking official at the Dagestani Interior Ministry told the Caucasian Knot correspondent. The media reported earlier that the Shariat organization claimed responsibility for a series of terror attacks against officers of Dagestani security agencies in December 2004. "All members of the Dzhennet group have been destroyed, and only its leader Rasul Makasharipov is free. So he is likely to have formed a new group with old tasks: terror attacks against officers of the Interior Ministry and the FSB (Federal Security Service), prosecutors, and court officials in Dagestan," the source said.
Rasul Makasharipov, nicknamed Muslim, is a 33-year-old native of Dagestan's Tsumadinsky district. He is a former interpreter of notorious field commander Khattab. In 1997, the father expelled him from the house, and the young man moved to Chechnya. Then Makasharipov appeared in Dagestan again and organized the Dzhennet group.
Rebels under the command of Rasul Makasharipov have been killing policemen, judges and prosecutors in Dagestan since 2002. The number of their victims has already reached 30 people.
Author: Emilia Kazumova, CK correspondent;
- Armenian rights defenders call on politicians to recognize Shant Arutyunyan as political prisoner
- HRC "Memorial" calls on head of Dagestan to intervene in the situation in Untsukul District
- Head of Committee "Mothers from Kuma River Area" detained in Stavropol Territory released
- Ex-Prime Minister Vano Merabishvili is sentenced to three years of imprisonment in case of Sandro Girgvliani's murder
- Leyla Yunus transferred to SIZO of Azerbaijani MNS
- Chechen law enforcers search for suspected accomplice of organizer of explosion on Grozny Day
- Prior to his disappearance in 2012, Khasan Zalikhanov, killed in Nalchik, was a policeman
- Residents of Vremenny complain to Ramazan Abdulatipov about law enforcers' actions
- ICRF: killed Aliskhanov was plotting attempt on policemen on eve of to terror act in Grozny
- DPS unit shelled in Nalchik: two killed and one wounded