20 April 2007, 23:44
Doku Umarov's father killed in Chechnya
Khamad Umarov, 74, father of Doku Umarov, leader of Chechen separatists, was killed. According to one of militants' Internet web sites, Umarov's father was kidnapped back on May 5, 2005, by the employees of the "Oil Regiment" headed by Adam Demilkhanov.
It is reported that representatives of the Russian party have addressed separatists through intermediaries asking them to show Khamad Umarov's tomb.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported earlier that in May 2005, Doku Umarov's father, then 70, wife and a baby of six months old were kidnapped in Chechnya. On August 12, 2005, Natalia Khumaidova, Umarov's sister, was kidnapped in the southwest of Chechnya by armed persons in camouflage. Some months earlier, his brother Ruslan Umarov, 43, father of four children, was captured and taken away by unknown armed persons. In 2003 and 2004, Doku Umarov's cousin Zaurbek and nephew Roman Ataev were kidnapped. According to separatists, all the kidnapped persons were put into Ramzan Kadyrov's personal prison Hosi-Yurt village.
- Experts treat detentions of young men with beards in Chechnya as sign of totalitarianism
- "Imarat Kavkaz" is rapidly losing its influence in Dagestan
- Journalist Elchin Mamed released after questioning in Azerbaijan
- Askandarov's advocate again fails to see him
- Film "The Family" outrages Chechen TV Companies
- Journalist Elchin Mamed detained in Azerbaijan
- Investigators appoint new examinations in Boris Nemtsov's murder case
- Zelimkhan Khangoshvili wounded in Tbilisi
- Magomed Suleimanov appointed leader of "Imarat Kavkaz", his relative confirms
- Freedom House calls on Azerbaijani authorities to grant medical care to Intigam Aliev