20 April 2007, 23:44
Doku Umarov's father killed in Chechnya
Khamad Umarov, 74, father of Doku Umarov, leader of Chechen separatists, was killed. According to one of militants' Internet web sites, Umarov's father was kidnapped back on May 5, 2005, by the employees of the "Oil Regiment" headed by Adam Demilkhanov.
It is reported that representatives of the Russian party have addressed separatists through intermediaries asking them to show Khamad Umarov's tomb.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported earlier that in May 2005, Doku Umarov's father, then 70, wife and a baby of six months old were kidnapped in Chechnya. On August 12, 2005, Natalia Khumaidova, Umarov's sister, was kidnapped in the southwest of Chechnya by armed persons in camouflage. Some months earlier, his brother Ruslan Umarov, 43, father of four children, was captured and taken away by unknown armed persons. In 2003 and 2004, Doku Umarov's cousin Zaurbek and nephew Roman Ataev were kidnapped. According to separatists, all the kidnapped persons were put into Ramzan Kadyrov's personal prison Hosi-Yurt village.
- Week in the Caucasus: review of main events of September 15-21
- Hundred women attend First Congress of Muslim Women of North Ossetia
- KBR residents celebrate Adygs' Day for the first time
- In Nakhichevan, policemen file charge against beaten human rights defender Ilgar Nasibov
- For the first time ever, EP's resolution threats to use sanctions against Azerbaijan authorities, opposition asserts
- Volgograd, parents of preschool children demand repairs of kindergartens
- Zarkipli Ramazanov kidnapped in Makhachkala, says his father
- Said Amirov's advocates to complain to ECtHR
- Chechnya: Prosecutor's Office and CEC fixed no removals of "Golos" observers from polling stations (+video)
- Russian MoD intends to recruit 500 soldiers from Chechnya