17 May 2007, 23:41
Beslan residents are against erection of a temple in the place of the tragedy
Representatives of the "Beslan Mothers" and the "Voice of Beslan" Committees are resolutely against the idea to build a church in the place of the tragedy.
"We think that no constructions should be there. The school should remain as it is now. It should be protected by a dome against degradation," Ella Kesaeva, leader of the "Voice of Beslan" Committee, told in her interview to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent. Most of the victims and Beslan residents are of the same opinion.
According to Ella Kesaeva, "certain representatives of Orthodox Church are lobbying erection of their temple." Signatures are now being gathered in Beslan in support of this project. The victims view it as another act of confrontation and think that such issues are not for voting, since nobody should advocate one's faith by referring to the tragedy.
Author: Emma Marzoyeva, CK correspondent;
- Week in the Caucasus: review of main events of May 18-24
- Activist of "League of the Just" Mukhammad Magomedov kept at Makhachkala ROVD
- Advocate claims non-admission to residents of Dagestan detained during CTO
- Two policemen injured in explosion in Ingushetia
- Investigators demand to arrest Grozny resident involved in road accident in centre of Moscow
- Activist Mukhammad Magomedov detained in Makhachkala, eyewitnesses report
- In Kuban, officials attempt to lease nature reserve land as hunting ground, "EcoWatch" reports
- Residents of Chechnya report on new raids against young men with beards
- Air bomb found in Taman
- Resident of Chechnya detained on suspicion of aiding and abetting militants