27 April 2007, 22:32
A helicopter with troopers crashed down in Chechnya
A model Mi-8 helicopter of Ministry of Defence that was transporting rangers fell down in Chechnya. The accident took place today at 11:34 a.m. to the south of Shatoi village, the "Interfax" transmits the message of the Ministry of Defence.
According to the "Caucasian Knot," today, three Mi-8 helicopters with soldiers were sent to block a grouping in the Shatoi District of Chechnya, which may be headed by the leader of Chechen separatists Doku Umarov. According to preliminary data, one of the helicopters was shot down at approaching the battle place. Eighteen persons have perished - three members of the crew and 15 special fighters of the Chief Intelligence Service of the Joint Staff. Now, the fight continues, a source in the United Group of Troops has reported. The ITAR-TASS reports that the members of the "Yug" (South) battalion and commandoes take part in the operation. "According to preliminary data, three militants were killed," the source of the Agency has added.
At the same time, the Office of Public Prosecutor of Chechnya has no data that the helicopter was shot down. The President of Chechnya asserts that the craft crashed down because of a technical malfunction.
- Brothers of Pakhrudin Magomedov who disappeared in Makhachkala were killed by law enforcers, their uncle asserts
- In Stavropol, doctors operate on student detained on suspicion of aiding terrorism
- In Dagestan, one of Amirs of Aukh militants swears to leader of "Islamic State"
- Russian SC upholds verdict to Orkhan Zeinalov for murdering Muscovite Yegor Scherbakov
- Georgia's GPO accuses Saakashvili under "Girgvliani's case"
- ECtHR obliges Russia to pay Said Amirov 15,000 euros for his detention
- Ingush police refuse to announce versions on GIBDD inspector's murder because of secrecy of investigation
- In Moscow, advocates of Chechen natives accused of attacking policeman report on their clients' alibi
- ECtHR begins communicating with Azerbaijan on two complaints about torture and violations of right to liberty
- In Chechnya, local resident surrenders ammunition to police