27 April 2007, 22:32
A helicopter with troopers crashed down in Chechnya
A model Mi-8 helicopter of Ministry of Defence that was transporting rangers fell down in Chechnya. The accident took place today at 11:34 a.m. to the south of Shatoi village, the "Interfax" transmits the message of the Ministry of Defence.
According to the "Caucasian Knot," today, three Mi-8 helicopters with soldiers were sent to block a grouping in the Shatoi District of Chechnya, which may be headed by the leader of Chechen separatists Doku Umarov. According to preliminary data, one of the helicopters was shot down at approaching the battle place. Eighteen persons have perished - three members of the crew and 15 special fighters of the Chief Intelligence Service of the Joint Staff. Now, the fight continues, a source in the United Group of Troops has reported. The ITAR-TASS reports that the members of the "Yug" (South) battalion and commandoes take part in the operation. "According to preliminary data, three militants were killed," the source of the Agency has added.
At the same time, the Office of Public Prosecutor of Chechnya has no data that the helicopter was shot down. The President of Chechnya asserts that the craft crashed down because of a technical malfunction.
- In Azerbaijan, Court arrests for three months rights defender Talekh Khasmamedov accused of disorderly conduct
- Darya Polyudova reports on deterioration of her health at SIZO
- Residents of Azerbaijan pay tribute to 23rd anniversary of Khojaly tragedy
- Court finds Nalchik resident guilty of involvement in IAF in Syria
- Militants killed in Dagestan were members of Kizilyurt criminal grouping
- Power agents report on killing three militants in Dagestan
- Russian GPO agrees to consider request to extradite Valery Permyakov to Armenia
- In KBR, local resident sentenced to 13 years of imprisonment on charge of involvement in IAF
- In Tbilisi, many exchange offices stop selling US dollars
- Gadjimurad Omarov accuses Deputy Minister of Dagestani government of involvement in attack on him