27 April 2007, 22:32
A helicopter with troopers crashed down in Chechnya
A model Mi-8 helicopter of Ministry of Defence that was transporting rangers fell down in Chechnya. The accident took place today at 11:34 a.m. to the south of Shatoi village, the "Interfax" transmits the message of the Ministry of Defence.
According to the "Caucasian Knot," today, three Mi-8 helicopters with soldiers were sent to block a grouping in the Shatoi District of Chechnya, which may be headed by the leader of Chechen separatists Doku Umarov. According to preliminary data, one of the helicopters was shot down at approaching the battle place. Eighteen persons have perished - three members of the crew and 15 special fighters of the Chief Intelligence Service of the Joint Staff. Now, the fight continues, a source in the United Group of Troops has reported. The ITAR-TASS reports that the members of the "Yug" (South) battalion and commandoes take part in the operation. "According to preliminary data, three militants were killed," the source of the Agency has added.
At the same time, the Office of Public Prosecutor of Chechnya has no data that the helicopter was shot down. The President of Chechnya asserts that the craft crashed down because of a technical malfunction.
- Armenian rights defenders call on politicians to recognize Shant Arutyunyan as political prisoner
- HRC "Memorial" calls on head of Dagestan to intervene in the situation in Untsukul District
- SBS of Ukraine announces attempt of saboteurs' penetration from Rostov Region
- Head of Committee "Mothers from Kuma River Area" detained in Stavropol Territory released
- Ex-Prime Minister Vano Merabishvili is sentenced to three years of imprisonment in case of Sandro Girgvliani's murder
- Leyla Yunus transferred to SIZO of Azerbaijani MNS
- Chechen law enforcers search for suspected accomplice of organizer of explosion on Grozny Day
- Prior to his disappearance in 2012, Khasan Zalikhanov, killed in Nalchik, was a policeman
- Residents of Vremenny complain to Ramazan Abdulatipov about law enforcers' actions
- ICRF: killed Aliskhanov was plotting attempt on policemen on eve of to terror act in Grozny