06 June 2007, 17:04
All-European action for giving out Maskhadov's body to his relatives for burial
On Saturday, June 9, at midday GMT an international action will be held for giving out the body of President of Chechnya Aslan Maskhadov, assassinated by Russian special agencies, to his family. Simultaneous manifestations will take place in the capitals of Russia, Poland, Sweden, in cities of Austria, Norway, Germany, Denmark and other European countries. Irina Vologina, coordinator of the action in Moscow and an activist of the Committee for Anti-War Actions, told about it to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
According to Ms Vologina, the initiative to hold an international action belongs to the Warsaw organizing committee that was created this April for collecting signatures under the petition demanding to give the body of A. Maskhadov, murdered President of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria (ChRI), out to his family for burial.
"Despite all appeals and demands of the civilized community, numerous actions and requests of the relatives, the body of the killed President has not been given out for burial according to Islamic canons," she added.
In Moscow, the Committee for Anti-War Actions will hold a picket from 11 to 12 a.m. on June 9 in the Triumphal Square near the "Mayakovskaya" metro station. One of the declared aims of the picket is "an appeal to cancel Article 14.1 of the Federal Law 'On Burial and Funeral Activities,' which forbids the relatives to get the bodies of the members of their families who perish during suppression of acts of terror."
Author: Vyacheslav Feraposhkin, CK correspondent;
- "Levada-Centre": 64% of Russian citizens believe authorities did their best to rescue hostages in Beslan
- In Krasnodar, activist Darya Polyudova arrested on suspicion of extremism
- In Rostov Region, schools welcome 7000 children of Ukrainian immigrants
- Knowledge Day in NCFD: regions face shortage of schools
- Sapiyat Magomedova complains to Dagestani ID about delays in investigation into case of her beating
- Zarema Khadjirokova accused of fraud goes on hunger strike in Maikop
- Prosecutor's Office of Azerbaijan bans Namazov's leaving the country
- Dudieva: on October 14, ECtHR to start considering complaint of Beslan victims
- During week of August 25-31, 2014, 3 persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- Moscow opens art project about Beslan victims