06 June 2007, 17:04
All-European action for giving out Maskhadov's body to his relatives for burial
On Saturday, June 9, at midday GMT an international action will be held for giving out the body of President of Chechnya Aslan Maskhadov, assassinated by Russian special agencies, to his family. Simultaneous manifestations will take place in the capitals of Russia, Poland, Sweden, in cities of Austria, Norway, Germany, Denmark and other European countries. Irina Vologina, coordinator of the action in Moscow and an activist of the Committee for Anti-War Actions, told about it to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
According to Ms Vologina, the initiative to hold an international action belongs to the Warsaw organizing committee that was created this April for collecting signatures under the petition demanding to give the body of A. Maskhadov, murdered President of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria (ChRI), out to his family for burial.
"Despite all appeals and demands of the civilized community, numerous actions and requests of the relatives, the body of the killed President has not been given out for burial according to Islamic canons," she added.
In Moscow, the Committee for Anti-War Actions will hold a picket from 11 to 12 a.m. on June 9 in the Triumphal Square near the "Mayakovskaya" metro station. One of the declared aims of the picket is "an appeal to cancel Article 14.1 of the Federal Law 'On Burial and Funeral Activities,' which forbids the relatives to get the bodies of the members of their families who perish during suppression of acts of terror."
Author: Vyacheslav Feraposhkin, CK correspondent;
- Head of Novokubansk District offered to resign
- Former special forces officer appointed new chief of North-Caucasian VOGOiP
- Grozny residents report on interruptions in electricity and water supply
- Ashot Gulyan re-elected speaker of NKR's National Assembly
- Dagestan: Nuridin Magomedov was thought to be militants' helper
- Petition on court disqualification in Amirov's case rejected
- Advocate of Dadaev's family files complaint against investigator's actions
- Russia's SC softens verdict to resident of Astrakhan Region for recruiting militants
- Two local residents detained in CTO zone in Dagestan
- Funeral of murdered policeman held in Dagestani village of Tsebari