06 June 2007, 17:04
All-European action for giving out Maskhadov's body to his relatives for burial
On Saturday, June 9, at midday GMT an international action will be held for giving out the body of President of Chechnya Aslan Maskhadov, assassinated by Russian special agencies, to his family. Simultaneous manifestations will take place in the capitals of Russia, Poland, Sweden, in cities of Austria, Norway, Germany, Denmark and other European countries. Irina Vologina, coordinator of the action in Moscow and an activist of the Committee for Anti-War Actions, told about it to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
According to Ms Vologina, the initiative to hold an international action belongs to the Warsaw organizing committee that was created this April for collecting signatures under the petition demanding to give the body of A. Maskhadov, murdered President of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria (ChRI), out to his family for burial.
"Despite all appeals and demands of the civilized community, numerous actions and requests of the relatives, the body of the killed President has not been given out for burial according to Islamic canons," she added.
In Moscow, the Committee for Anti-War Actions will hold a picket from 11 to 12 a.m. on June 9 in the Triumphal Square near the "Mayakovskaya" metro station. One of the declared aims of the picket is "an appeal to cancel Article 14.1 of the Federal Law 'On Burial and Funeral Activities,' which forbids the relatives to get the bodies of the members of their families who perish during suppression of acts of terror."
Author: Vyacheslav Feraposhkin, CK correspondent;
- Azerbaijan sets up "Joint Human Rights Group"
- Rostov-on-Don to open polling station for electing Ukrainian MPs
- MoJ announces its readiness to withdraw claim on dissolution of "Memorial"
- Astrakhan Mayor Stolyarov, accused of bribery, claims he took money for city needs
- Dagestan: law enforcers cordon off Gimry village, local residents report
- Bacho Akhalaya, former head of Georgian MIA, found guilty in "Navtlug" case
- EP to send delegation to Azerbaijan to support Leyla Yunus
- Experts: law enforcers are contradictory in reports about death of suspected organizer of suicide bombing in Grozny
- In Armenia, activists hold march to condemn police actions against blind oppositionist
- Azerbaijani CEC schedules municipal elections for December 23