29 October 2007, 12:59
Kabardino-Balkaria: defendants in the case of attack on Nalchik complain of tortures
The Kabardino-Balkarian Human Rights Centre has received five applications from the relatives of the persons accused of attacking the power agencies of Kabardino-Balkaria on October 13, 2005, asking to help in defending their rights.
The applications are accompanied by the detainees' letters, in which they write about tortures and beatings, which have been applied to them right after detention two years ago. The prisoners insist that all their evidences were taken from them under pressure, tortures, threats of rape and slow torturous murder.
We remind you that in connection with the events of October 13, 2005, in Nalchik charges were presented to 59 persons. The trial, where the case files make 1300 volumes, was started on October 11.
On November 25, another session of preliminary hearing will take place. Soon after the arrests made in October 2005, mass media published photos of the detainees with traces of tortures, some of them were placed in the Internet.
Earlier, only one of the detainees on the events of October 13, 2005, spoke about tortures and beatings applied to him. It was Rasul Kudaev, a resident of Khasanya village of the Kabardino-Balkarian Republic (KBR) and a former prisoner of the American Guantanamo prison. In his interviews before the arrest he also spoke about cruel treatment of Guantanamo prisoners.
Author: Luiza Orazayeva, CK correspondent;
- Family members of Kislovodsk Imam appeal to rights defenders for help in stopping criminal proceedings against him
- Chechen Prosecutor's Office resumes investigation into murder of pregnant woman committed 14 years ago
- In Azerbaijan, Ali Gyulalyev's father claims political motives of case against his son
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's defence seeks to postpone trial till September 2015
- In Kutaisi, hunger-striker from SIZO No. 2 taken to hospital
- In Maikop, trial of Zarema Khadjirokova continues without defence
- Armenian soldier found dead at his combat post
- International Society ‘Memorial’ calls for cessation of military aggression against Ukraine. Appeal to the President of the Russian Federation
- In Tbilisi, five NGO activists are fined for attempting to paint bridge in Ukrainian colours
- Chechen SC stops proceeding on Kutaev's complaint of torture