09 August 2003, 15:57
Shamil Basayev was pronounced highly dangerous terrorist by the US and included into UN antiterrorist list
Chechen separatist leader Shamil Basayev has been included in the antiterrorist list of the UN Security Council, while the US government pronounced him a highly dangerous terrorist and brought up state sanctions against him.
According to the US State Department statement circulated in Washington, the US also charged Basayev with having connections with the international terrorist organization "Al-Qaeda" and engineering terrorist acts in Moscow and Grozny.
On Friday, Russia and the US jointly added Basayev's name to the consolidated list of the UN Security Council's Committee on Sanctions against "Taliban", "Al-Qaeda" and affiliated persons and organizations falling under resolutions Nos. 1267, 1390 and 1455. Great Britain joined the action as well.
Friday's report also said the US government had added Basayev's name to the list of international terrorists and introduced state sanctions against him, simultaneously arresting his accounts and financial assets.
"We were pleased to hear of the US administration's decision to officially pronounce Shamil Basayev terrorist and arrest his assets," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Yury Fedotov told "Vremya" program aired by Russia's ORT TV channel.
Source: RIA Novosti
- Court finds Nalchik resident guilty of involvement in IAF in Syria
- Militants killed in Dagestan were members of Kizilyurt criminal grouping
- Power agents report on killing three militants in Dagestan
- Russian GPO agrees to consider request to extradite Valery Permyakov to Armenia
- In KBR, local resident sentenced to 13 years of imprisonment on charge of involvement in IAF
- In Tbilisi, many exchange offices stop selling US dollars
- Gadjimurad Omarov accuses Deputy Minister of Dagestani government of involvement in attack on him
- Rights defender Talekh Khasmamedov detained in Azerbaijan
- Krasnodar court decides to consider Dzhemilev's case with a jury
- Omarov beaten up in Dagestan hospitalized in Moscow with broken collarbone and brain concussion