09 August 2003, 15:57
Shamil Basayev was pronounced highly dangerous terrorist by the US and included into UN antiterrorist list
Chechen separatist leader Shamil Basayev has been included in the antiterrorist list of the UN Security Council, while the US government pronounced him a highly dangerous terrorist and brought up state sanctions against him.
According to the US State Department statement circulated in Washington, the US also charged Basayev with having connections with the international terrorist organization "Al-Qaeda" and engineering terrorist acts in Moscow and Grozny.
On Friday, Russia and the US jointly added Basayev's name to the consolidated list of the UN Security Council's Committee on Sanctions against "Taliban", "Al-Qaeda" and affiliated persons and organizations falling under resolutions Nos. 1267, 1390 and 1455. Great Britain joined the action as well.
Friday's report also said the US government had added Basayev's name to the list of international terrorists and introduced state sanctions against him, simultaneously arresting his accounts and financial assets.
"We were pleased to hear of the US administration's decision to officially pronounce Shamil Basayev terrorist and arrest his assets," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Yury Fedotov told "Vremya" program aired by Russia's ORT TV channel.
Source: RIA Novosti
- Seven hunger-strikers continue demanding Abdulatipov's resignation
- In Volgograd, about 80 persons came to commemorate victims of political repressions
- In Azerbaijan, one of advocates is withdrawn from protection of rights of Leyla Yunus
- Azerbaijani filmmaker Eldaniz Guliev fined for libelling MIA head
- Defenders of sentenced Rostov journalist Alexander Tolmachov disagree with Court's verdict
- In Dagestan, District Court re-takes Patimat Nasibova into custody
- Native of Yeisk becomes defendant in case of private jet crash at Vnukovo Airport
- Relatives of murdered rights defender Maksharip Aushev ask to transfer investigation to Ingushetia
- Russian HRC to appeal to General Prosecutor's Office in connection with case against Imam Kurman-Ali Baichorov
- In Makhachkala, eight persons go on hunger strike demanding resignation of Dagestani leader