09 August 2003, 15:57
Shamil Basayev was pronounced highly dangerous terrorist by the US and included into UN antiterrorist list
Chechen separatist leader Shamil Basayev has been included in the antiterrorist list of the UN Security Council, while the US government pronounced him a highly dangerous terrorist and brought up state sanctions against him.
According to the US State Department statement circulated in Washington, the US also charged Basayev with having connections with the international terrorist organization "Al-Qaeda" and engineering terrorist acts in Moscow and Grozny.
On Friday, Russia and the US jointly added Basayev's name to the consolidated list of the UN Security Council's Committee on Sanctions against "Taliban", "Al-Qaeda" and affiliated persons and organizations falling under resolutions Nos. 1267, 1390 and 1455. Great Britain joined the action as well.
Friday's report also said the US government had added Basayev's name to the list of international terrorists and introduced state sanctions against him, simultaneously arresting his accounts and financial assets.
"We were pleased to hear of the US administration's decision to officially pronounce Shamil Basayev terrorist and arrest his assets," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Yury Fedotov told "Vremya" program aired by Russia's ORT TV channel.
Source: RIA Novosti
- Professor Savva has no intent to return to Russia
- Three thousand attend opposition rally in Yerevan
- Exhibits of City History Museum are on display in Yerevan
- Dagestani Akhmed Kamilov released from police
- CaT condemns non-admission of advocate to Zaur Dadaev
- OSCE representatives condemn sentencing of Rasul Jafarov in Baku
- In France, four natives of Chechnya sentenced for aiding Syrian militants
- Member of "Founding Parliament" Gevorg Safaryan goes on hunger strike
- Yerevan activists demand from USA to recognize Armenian Genocide
- Mikhail Savva's conditional sentence replaced by real imprisonment