09 August 2003, 15:57
Shamil Basayev was pronounced highly dangerous terrorist by the US and included into UN antiterrorist list
Chechen separatist leader Shamil Basayev has been included in the antiterrorist list of the UN Security Council, while the US government pronounced him a highly dangerous terrorist and brought up state sanctions against him.
According to the US State Department statement circulated in Washington, the US also charged Basayev with having connections with the international terrorist organization "Al-Qaeda" and engineering terrorist acts in Moscow and Grozny.
On Friday, Russia and the US jointly added Basayev's name to the consolidated list of the UN Security Council's Committee on Sanctions against "Taliban", "Al-Qaeda" and affiliated persons and organizations falling under resolutions Nos. 1267, 1390 and 1455. Great Britain joined the action as well.
Friday's report also said the US government had added Basayev's name to the list of international terrorists and introduced state sanctions against him, simultaneously arresting his accounts and financial assets.
"We were pleased to hear of the US administration's decision to officially pronounce Shamil Basayev terrorist and arrest his assets," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Yury Fedotov told "Vremya" program aired by Russia's ORT TV channel.
Source: RIA NovostiArticle source
- Georgian municipal officials receive unjustified bonuses, says NGO
- ICRF: professional activities of Zheleznovodsk City Duma Speaker is considered among reasons for attempt on him
- Tsarnaev's acquaintance found guilty of concealing evidence of terror act in Boston
- North-Caucasian militants released video evidence of Umarov's death
- In Stavropol Territory, policemen kill a man who opened fire on them
- Explosion occurs near the house of City Duma Speaker in Zheleznovodsk
- Prosecution demands 18 years of imprisonment for Zeinalov
- On July 14-20, one person fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- Ukrainian authorities announce capturing 23 Russians, including natives of Chechnya, near Lugansk
- Ex-deputy head of Cherkessk OVD complains to ICRF about investigators