09 August 2003, 15:57
Shamil Basayev was pronounced highly dangerous terrorist by the US and included into UN antiterrorist list
Chechen separatist leader Shamil Basayev has been included in the antiterrorist list of the UN Security Council, while the US government pronounced him a highly dangerous terrorist and brought up state sanctions against him.
According to the US State Department statement circulated in Washington, the US also charged Basayev with having connections with the international terrorist organization "Al-Qaeda" and engineering terrorist acts in Moscow and Grozny.
On Friday, Russia and the US jointly added Basayev's name to the consolidated list of the UN Security Council's Committee on Sanctions against "Taliban", "Al-Qaeda" and affiliated persons and organizations falling under resolutions Nos. 1267, 1390 and 1455. Great Britain joined the action as well.
Friday's report also said the US government had added Basayev's name to the list of international terrorists and introduced state sanctions against him, simultaneously arresting his accounts and financial assets.
"We were pleased to hear of the US administration's decision to officially pronounce Shamil Basayev terrorist and arrest his assets," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Yury Fedotov told "Vremya" program aired by Russia's ORT TV channel.
Source: RIA Novosti
- KBR: IED neutralized on "Kavkaz" Highway
- Dagestani SC overturns acquittal of doctor Gunashev accused of links with militants
- Rostov Region: court sentences three ex-policemen to four years in colony each for beating a victim
- During week of September 8-14, 2014, two persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- "Map of Election Fraud" receives 35 reports from Southern Russia
- Shein demands vote recount at election of Astrakhan Governor
- In Volgograd Region, CPRF members file five complaints about election violations
- In KChR, "Communists of Russia" and "Rot Front" complain about unjustified withdrawal of their candidates from elections
- In Chechnya, entrepreneur fined for distributing book "Fortress of the Muslim"
- Law enforcers suspect prosecutor Magomed Shapiev of opening fire on policeman in Dagestan, source reports