08 February 2008, 12:08
Officer guilty of Chechen woman's death sentenced to three years of conditional imprisonment
On February 7, the Grozny Garrison Military Court sentenced Alexei Korgun, Lieutenant Colonel of Internal Troops of the Russian MIA, guilty of the death of a woman-resident of the Shatoy District of Chechnya, to three years of conditional imprisonment.
The officer was accused under Article 293 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation (RF) "Negligence".
On March 24, 2007, soldiers from a reconnaissance sub-unit of the Internal Troops of the Russian MIA under command of Lieutenant Colonel Alexei Korgun opened fire on three women-local residents who were gathering ramson in a large forest near Urdyukhoi village, Shatoi District. Later, the militaries declared that they had opened fire as took the women for militants.
As a result of the shelling, Khaldat Mutakova, a teacher of the local school, was shot dead, and her sister Zalpa Mutakova and Zaira Kasumova were heavily wounded. The latter became invalid from the caused injury.
A relative of one of the suffered women who was present at the trial told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent that Alexei Korgun had completely admitted his guilt and asked pardon from the relatives of the perished woman and those wounded ones.
"The verdict to Korgun, in my opinion, is very lenient; nevertheless, I think he is really distressed with what had happened then. In any case, I've never heard before any of Russian militaries jailed for similar crimes ask pardon from victims or relatives," the interlocutor said.
Author: Sultan Abubakarov, CK correspondent;Article source
- Advocate: Batyr Pukhaev, hunger-striking in Tskhinvali IVS, rejects hospitalization
- Dagestani power agents spread false version of Asoltan Amaev's death, relatives assert
- MIA of KChR: one of suspects of killing MP Kunizhev is ready to surrender
- Russia's MFA: placement of OSCE observers at two border checkpoints in Rostov Region agreed
- Two wounded Ukrainian servicemen hospitalized today in Rostov Region
- "Musavat" activist Kerimli was detained on suspicion of drug possession, Azerbaijani MIA asserts
- Doctors in Grozny decide not to drive the beaten girl out of coma
- Relatives of Almaz Abdulnasyrov, killed in Stavropol Territory, asks prosecutors to check police's actions
- Dagestani SC starts considering appeal against Zarema Bagavutdinova's verdict
- Prigorodny District of North Ossetia gives foodstuffs to needy people