06 March 2008, 15:52
Supreme Court upholds acquittal of Ingush militiamen on Beslan events
Today, the Supreme Court of Russia has upheld the acquittal verdict to commanders of the Malgobek ROVD (District Interior Division) of Ingushetia accused of professional negligence during the events in Beslan in September 2004.
"The Judicial Board has ruled as follows: the verdict of the Supreme Court of Ingushetia of October 5, 2007, in relation to Mukhazhir Evloev and Ahmed Kotiev shall be left unchanged, and the cassation complaints - unsatisfied," the judge said when announcing the decision.
Thus, the cassation complaint of more than 200 victims has been rejected, the ITAR-TASS reports. The victims in the case had asked to cancel the acquittal verdict based on the verdict of jurymen because of remedial violations, the "Interfax" reports.
"In particular, the jury included relatives of the defendants and terrorists," Ella Kesaeva, representative of the victims and member of the All-Russian Public Organization "Voice of Beslan", told to the RIA "Novosti".
In this context, the victims assert that the jurymen were interested in the outcomes of the suit.
Among the violations, Ms Kesaeva has also named the discrepancies between the printouts of the judicial sessions and the minutes, which were taken at the court sessions. "There were clamant violations at the sessions," she said.
The trial was held in the closed mode, as the files of the criminal case were classified.
After the session, Ella Kesaeva has informed that the victims are going to appeal against the decision of the Supreme Court of Russia to the European Court for Human Rights.
- Azerbaijan: arrest of journalist Khadija Ismayilova extended until March 24
- Makhachkala: Envoy Melikov raises issue of preparing for celebrating 2000 years of Derbent
- KBR resident convicted of aiding militants
- MoDs of Armenia and Azerbaijan report shelling of their position in conflict zone
- Armenia: relatives of Avetisyan family ask police to ensure their safety
- Participants of unsanctioned rally in Minvody arrested for 10 days
- Armenian protesters demand international intervention into situation in NKR
- MoD of Azerbaijan reports death of three soldiers in Karabakh conflict zone
- On January 19-25, no victims of armed conflict in Northern Caucasus were registered
- Azerbaijan accuses Armenian party of violating ceasefire