06 March 2008, 15:52
Supreme Court upholds acquittal of Ingush militiamen on Beslan events
Today, the Supreme Court of Russia has upheld the acquittal verdict to commanders of the Malgobek ROVD (District Interior Division) of Ingushetia accused of professional negligence during the events in Beslan in September 2004.
"The Judicial Board has ruled as follows: the verdict of the Supreme Court of Ingushetia of October 5, 2007, in relation to Mukhazhir Evloev and Ahmed Kotiev shall be left unchanged, and the cassation complaints - unsatisfied," the judge said when announcing the decision.
Thus, the cassation complaint of more than 200 victims has been rejected, the ITAR-TASS reports. The victims in the case had asked to cancel the acquittal verdict based on the verdict of jurymen because of remedial violations, the "Interfax" reports.
"In particular, the jury included relatives of the defendants and terrorists," Ella Kesaeva, representative of the victims and member of the All-Russian Public Organization "Voice of Beslan", told to the RIA "Novosti".
In this context, the victims assert that the jurymen were interested in the outcomes of the suit.
Among the violations, Ms Kesaeva has also named the discrepancies between the printouts of the judicial sessions and the minutes, which were taken at the court sessions. "There were clamant violations at the sessions," she said.
The trial was held in the closed mode, as the files of the criminal case were classified.
After the session, Ella Kesaeva has informed that the victims are going to appeal against the decision of the Supreme Court of Russia to the European Court for Human Rights.
- Georgia's GPO accuses Mikhail Saakashvili of excess of power
- Stavropol Territory: former investigator sentenced to one year of freedom deprivation for arbitrariness
- Local executed by unidentified persons in Nazran District of Ingushetia
- Refugees living in "Promzhilbaza" find it difficult to rent housing for money allocated by authorities
- MCC finds Orkhan Zeinalov guilty of Yegor Scherbakov's murder in Biryulyovo
- Needy people of Vladikavkaz receive 400 food parcels for the end of Ramadan
- During week of July 21-27, 2014, 6 persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- Levon Airapetyan's friend reports on deterioration of businessman's health at Moscow SIZO
- MfE: Rostov Region accommodates more than 40,000 Ukrainian refugees
- On eve of Eid al-Fitr, Chechnya enhances security measures