22 March 2008, 12:13
ChCNS asks Spanish authorities not to deport Ingushetian refugee to Russia
According to the statement of Ruslan Badalov, Chairman of the Chechen Committee for National Salvation (ChCNS), human rights activists are protesting against a possible decision of the authorities of Spain to deport Murat Gasaev, a refugee from Ingushetia, to Russia. The statement of the ChCNS entitled "No to extradition of Murat Gasaev to Russia!" Mr Badalov shares his opinion about Gasaev and tells about his prosecutions:
"I can say that I know Murat Gasaev since his early childhood. He never took part in any combat or terror actions for either party in Northern Caucasus," the human rights activist assures. "There was no information about him anywhere that he could be involved in any gangster and terrorist formations. But having fallen victim of slander, he was forced to seek shelter far from Russia, in Europe, where his fellow countrymen try to find refuge from flagrant lawlessness and arbitrariness of the so-called law-enforcement and power structures of their homeland."
"It looks like Spain has its own, differing from the all-European one, viewpoint on the western principles of democracy and support of human rights," the ChCNS states. "This is the only way to apprehend the actions of the authorities of this country to 'request' the Russian Prosecutor's Office - the retributive party, from which the victim had escaped, - whether to give him refuge or not."
In the opinion of Ruslan Badalov, Gasaev's extradition "can mean for him nothing but a painful death in torture chambers, where they have dominance of arbitrariness and tortures, prohibited everywhere in the civilized world."
- Dagestan: trial of Abakarova, accused of possessing "suicide bomber's belt", postponed till August 18
- Defence of Leyla Yunus insists on her release from custody
- Authorities of Rostov Region report accommodation of over 40,000 Ukrainian refugees
- Firearms were planted on resident of Dagestan Musa Magomedov at search, his relatives assert
- "Centre of Legal Technologies": 92 million roubles withdrawn illegally from Nadezhda Tsapok's account
- State Duma MPs, who visited Rostov Region, offer to increase financial aid to Ukrainian refugees
- Defence plans to challenge MCC's verdict on "Hizb ut-Tahrir" case
- Victims' testimonies in "Million Mask March" case confirm defendants' innocence, says the defence
- Dagestani SC postpones session on Zarema Bagavutdinova's case
- Minor son of Azerbaijani oppositionist Gyulalyev is accused of hooliganism