22 March 2008, 12:13
ChCNS asks Spanish authorities not to deport Ingushetian refugee to Russia
According to the statement of Ruslan Badalov, Chairman of the Chechen Committee for National Salvation (ChCNS), human rights activists are protesting against a possible decision of the authorities of Spain to deport Murat Gasaev, a refugee from Ingushetia, to Russia. The statement of the ChCNS entitled "No to extradition of Murat Gasaev to Russia!" Mr Badalov shares his opinion about Gasaev and tells about his prosecutions:
"I can say that I know Murat Gasaev since his early childhood. He never took part in any combat or terror actions for either party in Northern Caucasus," the human rights activist assures. "There was no information about him anywhere that he could be involved in any gangster and terrorist formations. But having fallen victim of slander, he was forced to seek shelter far from Russia, in Europe, where his fellow countrymen try to find refuge from flagrant lawlessness and arbitrariness of the so-called law-enforcement and power structures of their homeland."
"It looks like Spain has its own, differing from the all-European one, viewpoint on the western principles of democracy and support of human rights," the ChCNS states. "This is the only way to apprehend the actions of the authorities of this country to 'request' the Russian Prosecutor's Office - the retributive party, from which the victim had escaped, - whether to give him refuge or not."
In the opinion of Ruslan Badalov, Gasaev's extradition "can mean for him nothing but a painful death in torture chambers, where they have dominance of arbitrariness and tortures, prohibited everywhere in the civilized world."
- Rights defender Ismaylova reports that Baku police refused to take her application about attack
- Azerbaijan: arrest of journalist Khadija Ismayilova extended until March 24
- Makhachkala: Envoy Melikov raises issue of preparing for celebrating 2000 years of Derbent
- KBR resident convicted of aiding militants
- Chechen Prosecutor's Office demands to close 85 pages of the social network "VKontakte"
- MoDs of Armenia and Azerbaijan report shelling of their position in conflict zone
- Society needs details of inquiry into murder in Gyumri, said demonstrators in Yerevan
- Court in Dagestan rejects claim on Murad Nurmagomedov's unlawful arrest
- Armenian investigators check version of Permyakov's accomplices
- Armenia: relatives of Avetisyan family ask police to ensure their safety