22 March 2008, 12:13
ChCNS asks Spanish authorities not to deport Ingushetian refugee to Russia
According to the statement of Ruslan Badalov, Chairman of the Chechen Committee for National Salvation (ChCNS), human rights activists are protesting against a possible decision of the authorities of Spain to deport Murat Gasaev, a refugee from Ingushetia, to Russia. The statement of the ChCNS entitled "No to extradition of Murat Gasaev to Russia!" Mr Badalov shares his opinion about Gasaev and tells about his prosecutions:
"I can say that I know Murat Gasaev since his early childhood. He never took part in any combat or terror actions for either party in Northern Caucasus," the human rights activist assures. "There was no information about him anywhere that he could be involved in any gangster and terrorist formations. But having fallen victim of slander, he was forced to seek shelter far from Russia, in Europe, where his fellow countrymen try to find refuge from flagrant lawlessness and arbitrariness of the so-called law-enforcement and power structures of their homeland."
"It looks like Spain has its own, differing from the all-European one, viewpoint on the western principles of democracy and support of human rights," the ChCNS states. "This is the only way to apprehend the actions of the authorities of this country to 'request' the Russian Prosecutor's Office - the retributive party, from which the victim had escaped, - whether to give him refuge or not."
In the opinion of Ruslan Badalov, Gasaev's extradition "can mean for him nothing but a painful death in torture chambers, where they have dominance of arbitrariness and tortures, prohibited everywhere in the civilized world."
- Week in the Caucasus: review of main events of September 15-21
- Hundred women attend First Congress of Muslim Women of North Ossetia
- KBR residents celebrate Adygs' Day for the first time
- In Nakhichevan, policemen file charge against beaten human rights defender Ilgar Nasibov
- Chechnya: case of woman accused of beating up her stepdaughter sent to court
- For the first time ever, EP's resolution threats to use sanctions against Azerbaijan authorities, opposition asserts
- Entrepreneur's house in Makhachkala shelled from grenade launcher
- Krasnodar: "EcoWatch" activist holds picket in support of Evgeny Vitishko
- Volgograd, parents of preschool children demand repairs of kindergartens
- Mother of Radjab Mustafaev shot dead in Semender claims her son was not militant