22 March 2008, 12:13
ChCNS asks Spanish authorities not to deport Ingushetian refugee to Russia
According to the statement of Ruslan Badalov, Chairman of the Chechen Committee for National Salvation (ChCNS), human rights activists are protesting against a possible decision of the authorities of Spain to deport Murat Gasaev, a refugee from Ingushetia, to Russia. The statement of the ChCNS entitled "No to extradition of Murat Gasaev to Russia!" Mr Badalov shares his opinion about Gasaev and tells about his prosecutions:
"I can say that I know Murat Gasaev since his early childhood. He never took part in any combat or terror actions for either party in Northern Caucasus," the human rights activist assures. "There was no information about him anywhere that he could be involved in any gangster and terrorist formations. But having fallen victim of slander, he was forced to seek shelter far from Russia, in Europe, where his fellow countrymen try to find refuge from flagrant lawlessness and arbitrariness of the so-called law-enforcement and power structures of their homeland."
"It looks like Spain has its own, differing from the all-European one, viewpoint on the western principles of democracy and support of human rights," the ChCNS states. "This is the only way to apprehend the actions of the authorities of this country to 'request' the Russian Prosecutor's Office - the retributive party, from which the victim had escaped, - whether to give him refuge or not."
In the opinion of Ruslan Badalov, Gasaev's extradition "can mean for him nothing but a painful death in torture chambers, where they have dominance of arbitrariness and tortures, prohibited everywhere in the civilized world."
- In Krasnodar Territory, "Solidarity" activist accused of extremism
- Krasnodar Court dismisses Mikhail Savva's appeals against his sentence
- Within a month, activists raise 85,000 roubles to help Russian-speaking elders in Caucasus
- In Krasnodar, activist Alexei Mandrigelya attacked
- Vitishko's advocate: Evgeny managed to improve prisoners' conditions in his colony-settlement in Tambov Region
- In Georgia, refugees plan to march from Poti to Tbilisi in protest
- Azerbaijan: Leyla Yunus' cellmate demands to punish Leyla's advocate
- Kizilyurt resident doomed kidnapped found in Dagestan
- Dagestan: decision to suspend inquiry into Akhmednabiyev's murder cancelled
- Azerbaijani rights defender Anar Mamedli receives Vaclav Havel Award