22 March 2008, 12:13
ChCNS asks Spanish authorities not to deport Ingushetian refugee to Russia
According to the statement of Ruslan Badalov, Chairman of the Chechen Committee for National Salvation (ChCNS), human rights activists are protesting against a possible decision of the authorities of Spain to deport Murat Gasaev, a refugee from Ingushetia, to Russia. The statement of the ChCNS entitled "No to extradition of Murat Gasaev to Russia!" Mr Badalov shares his opinion about Gasaev and tells about his prosecutions:
"I can say that I know Murat Gasaev since his early childhood. He never took part in any combat or terror actions for either party in Northern Caucasus," the human rights activist assures. "There was no information about him anywhere that he could be involved in any gangster and terrorist formations. But having fallen victim of slander, he was forced to seek shelter far from Russia, in Europe, where his fellow countrymen try to find refuge from flagrant lawlessness and arbitrariness of the so-called law-enforcement and power structures of their homeland."
"It looks like Spain has its own, differing from the all-European one, viewpoint on the western principles of democracy and support of human rights," the ChCNS states. "This is the only way to apprehend the actions of the authorities of this country to 'request' the Russian Prosecutor's Office - the retributive party, from which the victim had escaped, - whether to give him refuge or not."
In the opinion of Ruslan Badalov, Gasaev's extradition "can mean for him nothing but a painful death in torture chambers, where they have dominance of arbitrariness and tortures, prohibited everywhere in the civilized world."
- Stavropol court upholds verdict to Kislovodsk Imam
- Azerbaijani journalist Khadija Ismayilova wins Anna Politkovskaya Award
- Leader of "Mekhk-Khel" reports detention of his son in Ingushetia
- Chechen resident sentenced to 7 years in colony for "honour killing"
- Court dismisses Jafarov's complaint against rejection of his lawsuit to bank
- On April 20-26, at least 3 persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus
- Residents of Kuban ask to commute sentence for Novorossiysk women for their dancing near WWII memorial
- Leader of Khasavyurt militants in Dagestan, who had sworn allegiance to IS, killed
- On Day of Circassian Flag, Tbilisi opens art exhibition and hosts book presentation
- Dagestani resident claims investigators' inaction in case against police