12 May 2008, 18:25
Kadyrov reports dismissal of Yamadaev from commanding "Vostok" battalion
Sulim Yamadaev was dropped from command of the "Vostok" (East) battalion of the 42nd Motorized Rifle Division of the Ministry of Defence of Russia. This was stated today by President of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov at the meeting with representatives of law enforcement bodies in Grozny.
Kadyrov said that Yamadaev was dropped from the command of the battalion, and the duties are now executed by another person. As he said, investigation is now underway in a number of crimes.
"The Republic has facts of numerous people disappearances without any reason and traces. The militaries of the 'Vostok' who would not like to be made responsible for others' crimes are giving evidences, and those guilty of deaths and disappearances shall be strictly punished, whoever they are - heroes or colonels," the "Interfax" quotes President as saying.
- Russian HRC to appeal to General Prosecutor's Office in connection with case against Imam Kurman-Ali Baichorov
- In Makhachkala, eight persons go on hunger strike demanding resignation of Dagestani leader
- CPJ expresses concern over failure of justice in some cases on journalists' murders in Russia
- Rostov journalist Alexander Tolmachov is sentenced to nine years of imprisonment
- Dagestani court announces verdict in case on "honour killing" in Nechaevka
- Azerbaijani rights defender Arif Yunus to stay under arrest until March 5
- Mothers of large families from Volgograd Region hold picket in Moscow
- In Grozny, law enforcers detain young people while searching for militants, locals report
- In Georgia, Azerbaijani students stand against closure of mosque in Mokhe village
- Dagestan: Vremenny residents complain about unlawful actions of CTO headquarters