12 June 2008, 15:09

Residents of Chechnya rally in front of "Vostok" battalion base

A mass protest action with some 600-1000 participants (by different sources) was held on June 11 in the Gudermes District of Chechnya, near the disposition of the special-purpose battalion "Vostok" (East) of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Russian General Staff (known as GRU).

The action was organized by relatives of kidnapped and missing residents of the Republic, who believe that "Vostok" special fighters are behind all these crimes. The protesters, most of them were women, arranged their rally right in front of the entrance to the territory of the military base.

Many of them were holding photos of their kidnapped and missing relatives and posters with slogans as follows: "Murderers Must Be Made Responsible!", "Yamadaev's Soldiers are Enemies of Chechen People!", "Yamadaev Brothers Are Killers of Our Sons!"

"The women who stood in front of the 'Vostok' base were crying and damning these monsters. And when we left, we placed all the posters on the ground, in front of the entrance to the base. Let them know how they are hated by their own people," one of the participants of the rally told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

Meanwhile, one of the "Vostok" militaries told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent that the rally held in front of the battalion base was "nothing but an operetta staging and a cheap performance." In his opinion, the rally was organized by Magomed Khanbiev, one of former main Chechen militants, who "once had been the Minister of Defence of Ichkeria, and now switched over to Ramzan Kadyrov and tries to look like a normal person."

Author: Muslim Ibragimov, CK correspondent;

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060

Know more? Do not be silent!

Lt-feedback_banner

September 02, 2014 05:25

September 02, 2014 01:07

September 01, 2014 23:26

September 01, 2014 17:14

September 01, 2014 11:50

  • During week of August 25-31, 2014, 3 persons fell victim to armed conflict in Northern Caucasus

    During the week of August 25-31, 2014, at least 3 persons were killed in the armed conflict in Northern Caucasus. No wounded persons were reported. These are the results of calculations made by the "Caucasian Knot" based on its own materials and information from other open sources. According to the law enforcement bodies, all killed persons were suspected members of the armed underground in Dagestan.

August 31, 2014 07:05

  • Governor of Rostov Region announces closure of refugee centres

    On August 29, Vasily Golubev, the Governor of the Rostov Region, announced that all field temporary accommodation centres (TACs) for Ukrainian refugees would be closed during a week. The TACs are to be closed because of bad weather conditions in the Rostov Region. The authorities plan to transfer refugees to stationary accommodation centres.

August 31, 2014 13:50

  • In Sochi, Lavrikov family challenge court decision to move them to "Olympic" housing

    In Sochi, Lavrikov family members have challenged the decision of the Krasnodar Regional Court to grant the request of the Sochi city administration to transfer the Lavrikov family members to "Olympic" housing. The appeal has been filed against the court's decision to evict four adults from the dilapidated house to a one-room apartment in a building for "Olympic" settlers.

All news

Погода в 49 городах Кавказа
News archive