24 September 2008, 10:16
In Moscow, ex-deputy of State Duma Ruslan Yamadaev was murdered, not his brother Sulim
In the centre of Moscow, Ruslan Yamadaev, ex-deputy of Russian State Duma, was assassinated, not his brother Sulim Yamadaev, former commander of the "Vostok" battalion deployed in Chechnya, as reported earlier. The news was announced by Valery Gribakin, head of the PR Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) of Russia.
According to Mr Gribakin, the crime was committed today at 5:20 p.m. Moscow time near No. 10, Smolensk Embankment. "An unidentified man came up to the 'Mercedes' car that stopped before the red light and shot Yamadaev dead from a pistol. The victim died in situ from the wounds," Valery Gribakin has noted.
As a result of the shooting, the second who was in the car was wounded. Vladimir Markin, official spokesman of the Investigatory Committee at the Prosecutor's Office of the Russian Federation, has reported that this man was the former military commandant of the Chechen Republic Sergey Kizyun. Now, Mr Kizyun is in resuscitation ward in an extremely grave condition.
The "Gazeta.Ru" gives details of the incident. Yamadaev's black "Mercedes S500" was shelled by killers from an "Audi" car. When the car stopped in front of the traffic light, Yamadaev who was driving, for unknown reasons opened the window. It was his only mistake - the former field commander was known for his cautiousness and used an armoured "Mercedes", the edition notes.
- Georgia protests against "KaZantip" Festival
- Chechen authorities impose sanctions on five US and EU officials
- In Dagestan, Abdulkadyrov's advocate cannot locate him
- Adzinov: 287 Ukrainian refugees have applied for temporary shelter in Volgograd Region
- Azerbaijan: teen hospitalized from Karabakh conflict zone with gunshot wound
- Diaspora will not affect essentially on the outcome of presidential election in Abkhazia, experts say
- Heads of Chechnya and Krasnodar Territory are on EU's sanctions list
- Law enforcers of Ukraine and Russia exchange accusations of shelling pre-border areas
- Baku police release detained anti-Israel protesters
- Family members of Azerbaijanis detained in Nagorno-Karabakh appeal to Russian President