08 November 2008, 21:13
No more "Zapad" and "Vostok" battalions in Chechnya
The battalions "Zapad" (West) and "Vostok" (East) of the 42nd Motorized Rifle Division of the Russian Ministry of Defence, deployed in the territory of Chechnya, are transformed into motorized rifle companies; is was announced by General-Colonel Vladimir Moltenskoy, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Land Forces.
"These subdivisions will no longer exist," reports the press service of Chechen President with reference to Mr Moltenskoy. These battalions are transformed into motor-rife companies in the structure of the 42nd Motor-Rifle Division of the Ministry of Defence deployed in Chechnya, the General has explained.
The transformation of the battalions "Zapad" and "Vostok" is made within the process of reshaping the image of the Land Forces. "The motorized rifle companies will be engaged in combat training under the plans and only within the structure of the 42nd Motorized Rifle Division," the RIA "Novosti" quotes Vladimir Moltenskoy as saying. Earlier, the "Interfax" reported with reference to the General that the battalions "Zapad" and "Vostok" would be disbanded. From now on, the staff of the units is on vacations.
According to Mr Moltenskoy, a special commission set up by the Ministry of Defence together with the Military Prosecutor's Office will start investigating the crimes incriminated to former servicemen of these battalions.
The battalions "Zapad" and "Vostok" of the special troops under the so-called GRU (Main Intelligence Directorate of the Russian General Staff), consisting of ethnic Chechens, were created in 2003. The "Zapad" employs natives of the Nadterechny District of the republic, who initially had been in opposition to the authorities of self-proclaimed Chechen Republic of Ichkeria, back under Dzhokhar Dudaev and Aslan Maskhadov.
The core of the "Vostok", which until recently was under command of Lieutenant Colonel Sulim Yamadaev, was made of former fighters of the 2nd Battalion of National Guard of Ichkeria, where Yamadaev was in command in the time of Aslan Maskhadov's power.
- "Open Russia" posts film about Ramzan Kadyrov on Internet
- "Pussy Riot" members appeal to ECtHR to challenge law enforcers' refusal to investigate attack in Sochi
- Week in the Caucasus: review of main events of May 18-24
- Readers of "Caucasian Knot" discuss opening of representative offices of DNR and LNR in Tskhinvali
- Darya Polyudova dismissed because of law enforcers' pressure
- Radio Liberty editor-in-chief demands to stop repressions against Baku office
- In Kuban, officials attempt to lease nature reserve land as hunting ground, "EcoWatch" reports
- Marriage of Guchigov and Goylabieva reveals vulnerability of first wives
- Discussion of EU summit declaration delayed because of Nagorno-Karabakh issue
- Advocate of victims refuses to treat Ruslan Mukhudinov as main defendant in case of Boris Nemtsov's murder