19 December 2008, 14:19
Human rights activists of Ingushetia protest against Murad Gasaev's extradition
Ingushetian human rights activists voice their protest against Murad Gasaev's extradition to Russia as promised by the government of Spain. They fear that he can be tortured in Russia.
"We know that European countries find observance of human rights as paramount priority and claim to be leaders in this area. However, by Murad Gasaev's extradition Spain breaks the rights of this person, since in Russia he can be subjected to prosecution," Magomed Mutsolgov, head of the ANCO "Mashr" and a member of the Board at the Russian Ombudsman, said in his interview to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
On December 14, it became known that Spain gave its consent on extradition to Russia of a Chechen native Murat Gasaev, who had been announced to international search by the authorities of the Russian Federation as a suspect of participating in terror acts in Ingushetia in 2004. He can be sent to Russia already in December.
In Magomed Mutsolgov's opinion, by doing so "Spain in fact sentences Gasaev, without having any proofs of his guilt, except for Russia's request and Russia's guarantees, and Russia's guarantees are not observed de facto in the future."
"Same as two years ago, I repeat today that if the Russian party can provide Spain with sufficient evidences of Gasaev's guilt, let him try in Spain. Gasaev shouldn't be given out to Russia!" Mr Mutsolgov has stated.
Author: Fatima Malsagova, CK correspondent;
- International Society ‘Memorial’ calls for cessation of military aggression against Ukraine. Appeal to the President of the Russian Federation
- In Georgian colonies, 32 prisoners continue their hunger strike, Archil Talakvadze reports
- In Chechnya, kindergarten teacher suspected of beating children
- In Sochi, "Rospotrebnadzor" suspends operation of two McDonald's restaurants
- Doctors transfer four-year-old girl beaten in Grozny to neurological ward of Republic's Children's Hospital
- Sochi police demand to stop construction of high-rise building
- Experts treat California's resolution on NKR's independence as step to its international recognition
- Object looking like bomb found near police station in Stavropol
- Azerbaijani CoA leaves Rasul Jafarov in custody
- Missing resident of Dagestan identified by relatives among those killed in special operation