19 December 2008, 14:19
Human rights activists of Ingushetia protest against Murad Gasaev's extradition
Ingushetian human rights activists voice their protest against Murad Gasaev's extradition to Russia as promised by the government of Spain. They fear that he can be tortured in Russia.
"We know that European countries find observance of human rights as paramount priority and claim to be leaders in this area. However, by Murad Gasaev's extradition Spain breaks the rights of this person, since in Russia he can be subjected to prosecution," Magomed Mutsolgov, head of the ANCO "Mashr" and a member of the Board at the Russian Ombudsman, said in his interview to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
On December 14, it became known that Spain gave its consent on extradition to Russia of a Chechen native Murat Gasaev, who had been announced to international search by the authorities of the Russian Federation as a suspect of participating in terror acts in Ingushetia in 2004. He can be sent to Russia already in December.
In Magomed Mutsolgov's opinion, by doing so "Spain in fact sentences Gasaev, without having any proofs of his guilt, except for Russia's request and Russia's guarantees, and Russia's guarantees are not observed de facto in the future."
"Same as two years ago, I repeat today that if the Russian party can provide Spain with sufficient evidences of Gasaev's guilt, let him try in Spain. Gasaev shouldn't be given out to Russia!" Mr Mutsolgov has stated.
Author: Fatima Malsagova, CK correspondent;
- "Memorial" changes its Charter to suit MoJ
- In Armenia, advocates of participants of "Millions Mask March" appeal against conviction
- Azerbaijan: Mirkadyrov's custody extended by 5 months
- Guards and brother of Chechen representative in Ukraine arrested in Moscow
- Tbilisi: farewell ceremony with Bendukidze ends with minute of silence
- Azerbaijani MoD refutes statements about special operation conducted in helicopter crash site
- Residents of Akatsij Street in Sochi complain that they are evicted
- Fast stop of "Khimprom" in Volgograd can lead to disaster, ecologists are warning
- NKR's Defence Army denies any attitude to death of Azerbaijani soldier
- CTO regime lifted in Derbent