19 December 2008, 14:19
Human rights activists of Ingushetia protest against Murad Gasaev's extradition
Ingushetian human rights activists voice their protest against Murad Gasaev's extradition to Russia as promised by the government of Spain. They fear that he can be tortured in Russia.
"We know that European countries find observance of human rights as paramount priority and claim to be leaders in this area. However, by Murad Gasaev's extradition Spain breaks the rights of this person, since in Russia he can be subjected to prosecution," Magomed Mutsolgov, head of the ANCO "Mashr" and a member of the Board at the Russian Ombudsman, said in his interview to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
On December 14, it became known that Spain gave its consent on extradition to Russia of a Chechen native Murat Gasaev, who had been announced to international search by the authorities of the Russian Federation as a suspect of participating in terror acts in Ingushetia in 2004. He can be sent to Russia already in December.
In Magomed Mutsolgov's opinion, by doing so "Spain in fact sentences Gasaev, without having any proofs of his guilt, except for Russia's request and Russia's guarantees, and Russia's guarantees are not observed de facto in the future."
"Same as two years ago, I repeat today that if the Russian party can provide Spain with sufficient evidences of Gasaev's guilt, let him try in Spain. Gasaev shouldn't be given out to Russia!" Mr Mutsolgov has stated.
Author: Fatima Malsagova, CK correspondent;
- Azerbaijani court rules to arrest journalist Seimur Khazi
- In Grozny, relatives of missing people demand to punish kidnappers
- Dagestan: Mekhelta villagers state problems with receiving compensation for disaster damage
- Family members of Kislovodsk Imam appeal to rights defenders for help in stopping criminal proceedings against him
- Chechen Prosecutor's Office resumes investigation into murder of pregnant woman committed 14 years ago
- In Azerbaijan, Ali Gyulalyev's father claims political motives of case against his son
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's defence seeks to postpone trial till September 2015
- In Kutaisi, hunger-striker from SIZO No. 2 taken to hospital
- In Maikop, trial of Zarema Khadjirokova continues without defence
- Armenian soldier found dead at his combat post