19 December 2008, 14:19
Human rights activists of Ingushetia protest against Murad Gasaev's extradition
Ingushetian human rights activists voice their protest against Murad Gasaev's extradition to Russia as promised by the government of Spain. They fear that he can be tortured in Russia.
"We know that European countries find observance of human rights as paramount priority and claim to be leaders in this area. However, by Murad Gasaev's extradition Spain breaks the rights of this person, since in Russia he can be subjected to prosecution," Magomed Mutsolgov, head of the ANCO "Mashr" and a member of the Board at the Russian Ombudsman, said in his interview to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
On December 14, it became known that Spain gave its consent on extradition to Russia of a Chechen native Murat Gasaev, who had been announced to international search by the authorities of the Russian Federation as a suspect of participating in terror acts in Ingushetia in 2004. He can be sent to Russia already in December.
In Magomed Mutsolgov's opinion, by doing so "Spain in fact sentences Gasaev, without having any proofs of his guilt, except for Russia's request and Russia's guarantees, and Russia's guarantees are not observed de facto in the future."
"Same as two years ago, I repeat today that if the Russian party can provide Spain with sufficient evidences of Gasaev's guilt, let him try in Spain. Gasaev shouldn't be given out to Russia!" Mr Mutsolgov has stated.
Author: Fatima Malsagova, CK correspondent;
- Rauf Mirkadirov's family granted political asylum in Switzerland
- Kislovodsk prosecutor's office cancels rejection to open criminal case on threats to Baichorov
- Turkic conference in Grozny presents educational projects for students and Lyceum pupils
- Tsarnaev's classmate confesses of keeping firearms and drugs
- Chechen residents report demolition of militant's family house in Gudermes District
- Acts of violence against journalists in Armenia remain unpunished, rights defenders assert
- Ilkin Rustamzade put into dungeon of Baku SIZO for second time within month
- Court in Baku rejects complaint of rights defender Rasul Jafarov who claimed to change his custody
- Defence of Chechen native convicted in Pugachov intends to appeal against the verdict
- Armenian court takes to consideration appeals in the case of participants of "Million Mask March"