03 March 2009, 18:00
Sochi starts electoral campaign of City Mayor
The city of Sochi (Krasnodar Territory) has launched its electoral campaign of the Mayor, towards the election to take place on April 26. The City Electoral Commission (CEC) will stop receiving documents from candidates for the Mayor of Sochi on March 26, as Yuri Rykov, chairman of the Commission has explained.
On March 2, the CEC considered the action plan on preparation and holding the early election of the Mayor of Sochi. Now, the city has 4 territorial electoral commissions and 210 local ones. The UGA.ru portal reports that as of January 1, 2009, Sochi counts 296,150 voters.
So far, the CEC has received no applications. This electoral campaign will be shorter than the previous one; its term has been shortened by one third. The "Vecherni Sochi" newspaper writes that the law on municipal elections in Krasnodar Territory allows doing it.
As of today, Sochi is governed by Anatoly Pakhomov, Vice-Mayor, who was appointed Acting Mayor on January 20 and replaced Dzhambulat Khatuov, who became, in his turn, the First Vice-Governor of the Krasnodar Territory.
- "Levada-Centre": 64% of Russian citizens believe authorities did their best to rescue hostages in Beslan
- Governor of Rostov Region announces closure of refugee centres
- In Azerbaijan, Ali Gyulalyev's father claims political motives of case against his son
- International Society ‘Memorial’ calls for cessation of military aggression against Ukraine. Appeal to the President of the Russian Federation
- In Sochi, "Rospotrebnadzor" suspends operation of two McDonald's restaurants
- Experts treat California's resolution on NKR's independence as step to its international recognition
- California State Senate adopts resolution recognizing Nagorno-Karabakh
- Armenia: court leaves Ovannisyan and Petrosyan, participants of "Million Mask March", under arrest
- Georgian Health Ministry sends delegation to help Ukraine
- Russian experts doubt Khajimba's chances for serious reforms in Abkhazia