27 March 2009, 19:00
Chechnya residents show a mass burial where Budanov's regiment was deployed
In Chechnya, fellow-villagers of Elza Kungaeva, for whose kidnapping and murder former Colonel Yuri Budanov was convicted, showed journalists a mass burial in Tanga-Chu village. The collective grave keeps remains of 23 persons.
Ombudsman of the Chechen Republic Nurdi Nukhazhiev has reported that local residents assert that soldiers from Budanov's regiment were involved in the crimes.
"The Ombudsman's Office has already received applications of local residents who accuse Budanov of new crimes, and we plan to send them to the Investigatory Department of the ICPO of the Russian Federation for Chechnya. We've also addressed law enforcement bodies to have this new mass burial officially registered," said Mr Nukhazhiev.
According to his story, villagers said that until now they scared to talk about Budanov's crimes and to disclose the data about the burial place, as they were afraid of prosecutions, which had forced the Kungaev family to leave the country. As the IA "Northern Caucasus" reports, the Ombudsman could not exclude new figurants in Budanov's case as a result of new inquiries.
- ECtHR obliges Russia to pay Said Amirov 15,000 euros for his detention
- Ingush police refuse to announce versions on GIBDD inspector's murder because of secrecy of investigation
- In Moscow, advocates of Chechen natives accused of attacking policeman report on their clients' alibi
- ECtHR begins communicating with Azerbaijan on two complaints about torture and violations of right to liberty
- In Chechnya, local resident surrenders ammunition to police
- Gimry Tunnel will be opened on December 1, said Abdulatipov
- Resident of Makhachkala kidnapped in September found dead
- Dagestan: first group of Vremenny residents visit their homes with commission for assessing damage
- Resident of Ingushetia sentenced to 13 years in prison for blowing up APC with OMON fighters in Chechnya
- Law enforcers cancel CTO regime in Untsukul District of Dagestan